Starter, starter wire, alternator harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Finally got a chance to remove the original starter (the ONLY thing I didn't replace when I rebuilt the Cleveland last year). It was a bugger trying to drop it with the headers installed, and the transmission lines in place. Took it down to NAPA and it's toast. So time for a new one.

Jeff mentioned buying a starter for a '92 Bronco with a 351W for better fitment through the headers and such. Jeff, do you still have that part number by chance? Any other suggestions?

Also need to replace the starter wire and while I'm at it the alternator harness. Don or Midlife, do you have either for sale?

Can't wait to get her on the road again.

Finally got a chance to remove the original starter (the ONLY thing I didn't replace when I rebuilt the Cleveland last year). It was a bugger trying to drop it with the headers installed, and the transmission lines in place. Took it down to NAPA and it's toast. So time for a new one.

Jeff mentioned buying a starter for a '92 Bronco with a 351W for better fitment through the headers and such. Jeff, do you still have that part number by chance? Any other suggestions?

Also need to replace the starter wire and while I'm at it the alternator harness. Don or Midlife, do you have either for sale?

Ive got an alternator harness in the bag, I decided mine was fine and I would convert to a one wire alternator if I ever have a problem. Would 70% of list price and actual shipping from CJ's or Don's lowest price

sound fair?

Take your starter in to Napa and you can measure the tooth location/depth and compare. I don't have the box or part number and I'm not so nice as to try and read it from the starter itself.

it will require a slight rewire as it has a solenoid at the starter. You just have to run an extra hot wire to it I think I used 10 or 12 ga wire I had on hand.

Make sure all the wires are secured so that they cannot come in contact with the headers!

No starter wires here. I don't have a reseller's license yet. For overseas customers, I will order parts from the same catalog stores you frequent to save them extra shipping costs when I refurbish their harnesses.

Ive got an alternator harness in the bag, I decided mine was fine and I would convert to a one wire alternator if I ever have a problem. Would 70% of list price and actual shipping from CJ's or Don's lowest price

sound fair?

Take your starter in to Napa and you can measure the tooth location/depth and compare. I don't have the box or part number and I'm not so nice as to try and read it from the starter itself.

it will require a slight rewire as it has a solenoid at the starter. You just have to run an extra hot wire to it I think I used 10 or 12 ga wire I had on hand.

Make sure all the wires are secured so that they cannot come in contact with the headers!
That sounds very fair, Jeff. Just let me know how much the total is. Do you still have my address? PM me if not. Thanks!

IMG_14881.jpg

IMG_14871.jpg

Yahoo! I bought a new starter for a 92 Bronco 351W as suggested, wired it up using Totalled pics, and it fired right up. Easy install since it's smaller and lighter than OEM.

Purred like a kitten until I got into it, then roared like a lion. :cool:

The diameter of the rear tires is significantly smaller than last week. :D

Thanks everyone for your help. Couldn't have done it without you.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, and thanks for sharing, Doc. This is great information for those of us with headers and in need of a starter (mine is new, but I'm sure I'll still be around here when I eventually do need a new one). ;)

It's cool ain't it
Totally, 100%, WAAYYYY Cool! Middle of the Winter, streets dry and clear of snow, 57 degrees weird February temps, brother-in-law visiting, I was not being arrogant but willing to meet his degree of potential excitement.

His expectation of excitement was met, and then some. I had put the top down on the 'vert, and the rebuilt Cleveland answered the call. dancebanana

Jeff, I'll be indebted to you for a long time for that 3.50.

'Nuff said. Cool stuff. :cool:

Back