Starting on the 1972 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. Been a while since last post.
1) the car now has all the glass in it.
2) Got the terminator X control system installed.
3) Finished the fuel system.
4) Wired all the lights and PS system.
5) Car fired up and runs good (very loud as it is straight pipes).
6) Maiden voyage, got to work out a transmission issue. Stays in 3rd gear (limp mode). But it drives!
See son's YouTube channel for more updates, will try to post a few pictures.

Meanwhile, I spent the spring and most of the summer (so far) building a garage for working on these cars!
garage1.jpg

Finally. Got the transmission fixed and drove the true maiden voyage. Runs great, drives fast, and doesn't even seem the alignment is off (very straight driver). Son putting together the video update with the burn off. The car is very loud as it is straight pipe coming out just in front of the passenger door. Had to limit the drive as no tags or insurance, so run it for a test drive and park it quick before the popo shows up.
Now going to install the Holley 12" pro-dash as it currently is the tiny little 3" screen that comes with the terminator X system. Added the passenger seat, need to install the safety harness for this seat. More tuning. More driving to get all the bugs worked out, like small leak on heater by-pass hose. After the pro-dash is installed, add the fuel sender unit to the designated input and add the fuel level indicator to the digital screen (the screen is customizable and programmable).
The biggest issue we both see with the car is the rear springs. After the car has been set down on all four tires with the vehicle weight, we noticed that the car leans to the passenger side in the rear. The rear springs were re-used and it looks like the passenger side springs are weak. This didn't show up at first, but the car has now been on the tires for about two weeks and it is now noticeable.

By the way, got another non-Mustang project>Lemans.jpg

Another update: Car runs great. Still trying to get the alignment a little better. If you saw the video, had to remove the front springs and cut them. One side was slightly longer than the other. This is why the car sat crooked when looking from the back. Installed new rear leaf springs just to be sure.
Pulled the stock steering wheel and put in a quick release one for racing. Added the passenger seat with a 5-point harness as well. Now can go along for rides. Though, very loud and not exactly comfortable if traveling any kind of distance.
The biggest upgrade is the exterior appearance of the car. Convinced my son that the patina needed to be sealed. He found this product:IMG_5638.JPG

The results were spectacular. Not the easiest product to use, but did turn out nice.
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG
Should seal the exterior paint and rust from further degradation.

Haven't really done much but drive it around and shake out any minor running issues. The biggest issue is chasing down the electrical for the lights, signals, and marker lights. Most work, then stop working. Frustrating as we are sure it is related to poor grounding of the receptacles (which are the originals that probably need replacing). Also still working to get the Pro-dash installed. Need to cut away a bit of the steel dash. We also got a rearview mirror with a back-up camera. You cannot see anything out the rear window. Especially with the racing seats and 5-point harness holding you in place.
Cold and rainy weather keeps us inside. I don't have the big garage finished yet so cannot put it inside and heat.
But my son did get a set of rims for the back:
wheels 2.jpgwheels 1.jpg

Some people should not be allowed to drive!damage 1.jpgdamage 2.jpg
Son was parked at Chik-fil-a. Guy comes in and said he hit the Mustang. Turns out he has a lifted super cab F250 and cut the corner short and caught the front of the Mustang. We are being very adamant with him that this is irreplaceable damage. Yes, we can get a repo fender (or try and find NOS). But one will never be able to match the patina. I informed him that if any of the inner structure is damaged, that he will be paying for that as well. We spent a lot of time replacing aprons and core support. It has to be straight. Haven't figured out what to tell him for a price (he wants to avoid insurance and willing to pay cash), but it isn't cheap. And if he balks, I am prepared to take him to claims court!
If you got a big a$$ truck, learn to drive it properly! As for my son, he now knows to park it way out and walk. No guarantee, but hopefully the idiots can avoid running into it.

You’re lucky, seems like a lot of people hit and run these days. Bad drivers are everywhere.

Back