Steering Column Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveK

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351C engine, FMX automatic transmission, ram air, blue exterior with argent stripes, black interior. Restoration project with my son.
I am finally getting around to finishing the interior on my 72 Mach 1 Mustang. I had the interior out including the entire dash and steering column for rewiring and paint. After reinstalling the dash and adjusting the mounting brackets so the dash fits correctly I noticed that when I bolt up the steering column it is shifted to one side and not centered in the opening. Does anybody know how this is corrected? I did not think the mounting bracket which also secures the dash was adjustable but maybe it is. Now that everything is back in it looks like I would need to take the gage cluster out at a minimum to get at the bolts. Does anybody have a easy solution or am I stuck taking it apart again. Thanks.

here's a stab in the dark. Depending on what side is out, you can put some thick washers between your steering box and the body? Use longer bolts if needed and readjust steering linkages and get a new wheel alignment. This will then give you the extra space needed to move the steering column back to centre.

here's a stab in the dark. Depending on what side is out, you can put some thick washers between your steering box and the body? Use longer bolts if needed and readjust steering linkages and get a new wheel alignment. This will then give you the extra space needed to move the steering column back to centre.
My column was centered before the restoration so I believe I caused the alignment issue when I reinstalled the dash and mounting brackets. The (4) studs that secure the column are threading into a bracket that attaches to the dash and firewall and are not adjustable from side to side. In order for the column position to change the stud location must move right or left. In order for that to happen the bracket has to move which is now a pain to get at with everything installed. It looks like the correct way to fix it is take the dash pad and gage cluster back out to gain acess to the mounting bolts for the bracket and reposition it in the right spot. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a learning experience and do it over!

Dave you probably need to loosen the bracket bolts behind the cluster for L to R adjustment

3 on top

1 or 2 on LH side plate

1 on brake pedal support

Could also be dash as it can shift L to R as that may have not been centered before.

Main thing is that the steering box to shaft / rag joint alinement is good or it will wear out the rag joint or bind up

There are 2 inverted L shaped brackets, one on each side, just above the kick panels, near the leading edge of the door jamb. Try loosening those bolts to see if things will move a bit. Chuck

Back