Steering shaft pulls OUT!??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I'm working on a 73 Mach 1, it has non tilt steering column. I've had the steering wheel off all summer, but I remember when I drove the old girl in, every time I turned the wheel, the ignition would cut out. It felt like the steering wheel was pulling out as I turned the wheel, and this pulled on the rod that controls the ignition...

So, I pulled the rod, used some long nosed pliers to start/stop the car, this allowed me to get the car into the garage.

Today, I just finished rebuilding the entire front brake system. All of it! It's time for test and tune. I bolted the steering wheel on, start the car, turn the steering wheel and the ignition shuts off, because the shaft it's bolted to is moving!

I'm not sure, but I must be missing something. This is the way I purchased the car, am I missing a part here???

Attaching 2 photos showing the shaft moving. 20230904_201013.jpg20230904_201023.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Those diagrams are helpful. I've reassembled and further noticed that when I turn the wheel, the entire metal housing for the ignition column area is moving in and out when turning the wheel.

The next metal section rotates when I move the shifter out of park. That section seems to be staying in place and is unaffected when turning the wheel.

Does that make any sense? I feel like im one step closer... Trying to find how the ignition housing/column is able to move in and out with the steering wheel shaft.

I think I've figured out the problem. I could be wrong, but the 7/16th nut is attached to a bolt that anchors to the columns internal frame... from the referenced diagrams, it's 3641 "Steering Column Tube Flange"

Is that really how this holds together?
20230906_210105.jpg

Attachments

• 20230906_210200.jpg
    20230906_210200.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 1
Solved! That was it. Part 3641 is indeed an anchor that holds everything in place. There are two of them. My steering wheel no longer pulls out and my floor shifter goes into all gears.

Back