Strut Rods: New Bushings vs New design(TCP, etc)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting and it really makes sense. This will cause geometry changes as the wheel hop up and down, plus I guess it could lead to binding if made to stiff.
@Don C comment's prompted me to look at Maier's LCA, which I will be installing soon. I guess that's why their LCAs have a heim articulating joint for the inside attachment. The strut rod has also an articulating joint that will allow movement. This is good! Otherwise, binding could occur. 

MOD-mustang-front-suspension-kit-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that should prevent binding and a bending moment on the strut rod. On the stock LCA the rubber bushing takes up some of that twisting of the LCA. Installing urethane bushings on the inside of the LCA puts all of the twisting into the LCA or bending of the strut rod. 

Too bad they didn't put the heim joint on the LCA end of the strut rod and a bearing on the inside of the LCA so the LCA doesn't rotate, changing the angle of the lower ball joint.

I ended up talking to John at Opentracker a bunch, partly because he was one of the only companies that actually emailed me back to give suggestions. But I had a good conversation with him and for now I have ordered a set of their Delrin monoball strut rod bushings, and will likely get some of their blueprinted upper and lower arms in the next while. I found this video as well about John talking about some of their stuff and the difference which I thought was really good. 

Back