SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
Lovely, lovely, lovely...or put another way BAD-A**!!!!

Got all my problems worked out of my '71 351C rebuild today, and it's WOW!!! You may recall I had an oil pressure problem. Well, I'm almost ashamed to say, it was my fault. I could never build up more than 40PSI, which is well below 50-70 called for by Ford at 2000 rpm. I was also getting some valve train noise I couldn't explain.

A buddy suggested I pull the valve covers to get a look at if the valves are receiving oil. What did I find? #4 intake rocker arm loose and rotated to the side, and the pushrod and lifter nowhere in sight! Looked with a flashlight and saw them laying in the valley, and I was able to extract them with a magnetic pickup. No damage to either, and with some fancy handwork and a 4-claw pickup tool, I was able to reseat the lifter and reinstall the rocker arm properly. This was totally, 100%, my fault: I forgot to tighten that one rocker arm bolt when I was shimming my intake rockers.

Well, suffice it to say: the motor fires up in less than 1 turn, I have 67 PSI of oil pressure, no valve train noise. I reset the timing to 14 BTDC, it's SMOOTH, and I love the kick in the pants now - which will be even better when my carb guy dials in my Holley carb.

Now to install the hood tomorrow and take my baby out for a run!

OK, OK, I get it: pics to follow tomorrow....just ignore the hood that won't be there...

Lovely, lovely, lovely...or put another way BAD-A**!!!!

Got all my problems worked out of my '71 351C rebuild today, and it's WOW!!! You may recall I had an oil pressure problem. Well, I'm almost ashamed to say, it was my fault. I could never build up more than 40PSI, which is well below 50-70 called for by Ford at 2000 rpm. I was also getting some valve train noise I couldn't explain.

A buddy suggested I pull the valve covers to get a look at if the valves are receiving oil. What did I find? #4 intake rocker arm loose and rotated to the side, and the pushrod and lifter nowhere in sight! Looked with a flashlight and saw them laying in the valley, and I was able to extract them with a magnetic pickup. No damage to either, and with some fancy handwork and a 4-claw pickup tool, I was able to reseat the lifter and reinstall the rocker arm properly. This was totally, 100%, my fault: I forgot to tighten that one rocker arm bolt when I was shimming my intake rockers.

Well, suffice it to say: the motor fires up in less than 1 turn, I have 67 PSI of oil pressure, no valve train noise. I reset the timing to 14 BTDC, it's SMOOTH, and I love the kick in the pants now - which will be even better when my carb guy dials in my Holley carb.

Now to install the hood tomorrow and take my baby out for a run!
you don't need no stinkin hood to go out on a nice drive baby!!! :D:D:D:D

Back