Stumped- Can't Figure out Why Car Won't Run...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have finally got this running again.

I had three issues-
1) failing starter that was drawing WAY too much juice,
2) battery with dead cell that would show 12.7V but drop to 9.x when cranking. Maybe killed by the starter. I didn't notice the low voltage during cranking until I happened to glance at my handy timing light that displays voltage. This was causing weak spark. I had spark, but not consistent and strong.
3) timing not advanced enough. I was not able to verify this until I fixed the above two issues because the slow crank speed was not triggering my timing light so I couldn't verify the timing.

So it runs. But I'm contemplating blowing it apart again to swap it over to a 4 speed....
Do whatever you need to get the timing right and drive it.

Perfect weather out. Won’t be soon.

Speaking of fire safety, I put out a grease fire on my oven with a Halon fire extinguisher. Amazing, no cleanup required. I now keep 2 dry powder and 2 Halon fire extinguishers in the garage adjacent to the kitchen.
I used to carry a halon in the mustang with me back in the 80's but I understood they banned them in relation to the ozone depletion.

I see that you used yours and want to know if you had it recharged and how much trouble it was if you did so.

I used to carry a halon in the mustang with me back in the 80's but I understood they banned them in relation to the ozone depletion.

I see that you used yours and want to know if you had it recharged and how much trouble it was if you did so.
Mine is rated for 90 seconds discharge. I only used 10 seconds, so it is still in service as a backup to the new halon extinguisher I recently bought.

Look at element fire extinguisher's

I have two 50’s in my car

Never expire or are a ballistic danger in a wreck

Back