Suspension rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slappnbass

Reaction score
My Car
72' Coupe - Hard Top
302v8
Im looking to rebuild my 72' coupe's suspension. Are there any full kits out there that anyone would recommend for front and rear?

Currently everything is stock and needs to be replaced.

Gas shocks or NO?

I also plan on running a 17x8 wheel. Would a 245 tire be a good size all around?

Any input would be appreciated.

Im looking to rebuild my 72' coupe's suspension. Are there any full kits out there that anyone would recommend for front and rear?

Gas shocks or NO?

I also plan on running a 17x8 wheel. Would a 245 tire be a good size all around?

Do a search for wheels and 17x8 and you will find pictures and info regarding fitment.

Are you looking for STOCK kits, upgrading to tubular arms, or are you own of those rich guys who can afford $2500 for a coilover front end?

Is this a daily driver or a looker?

Gas shocks or NO?

Do a search for wheels and 17x8 and you will find pictures and info regarding fitment.

Are you looking for STOCK kits, upgrading to tubular arms, or are you own of those rich guys who can afford $2500 for a coilover front end?

Is this a daily driver or a looker?
Wolverine, I found the tire fitment chart. Thanks.

I guess you can call me one of those $$ guys, but only because i prefer quality & durability opposed to saving a few bucks now and spend more later. Ive been modding out my cars for a while now, and have come to learn cheaper is not always better. I dont plan on spending $2500+ for coils.

I was trying to narrow down the suspension to one FULL kit opposed to parting each piece out.

It will be a DD and looker!

I was trying to narrow down the suspension to one FULL kit opposed to parting each piece out.

It will be a DD and looker!
Sorry, I don't have a full kit:

I put these products on my 1970 XR7 after trying stock aftermarket:

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/upper.html

These definitely made a difference with just tubular control arms and a new set of springs. Was fairly easy as I recall. Remove spring...

are you own of those rich guys who can afford $2500 for a coilover front end?
Humm..I wonder who that might be :huh:

Although I'm not rich by any means...But I have learned over the years that it sucks to buy stuff twice..& it's better to spend a few extra bucks up front for a superior product when it comes to suspension & safety. :)

Although I'm not rich by any means...But I have learned over the years that it sucks to buy stuff twice..& it's better to spend a few extra bucks up front for a superior product when it comes to suspension & safety. :)
Q you are dead on it. This is a case where you get what you pay for. If you want stock buy stock if you want to upgrade get the best you can afford. Q post a link to your set up.

Q you are dead on it. This is a case where you get what you pay for. If you want stock buy stock if you want to upgrade get the best you can afford. Q post a link to your set up.
http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Front-Coilover-System-pr-24491.html

I had good luck with Laurel Mountain Mustang's Super Suspension kit. It came with everything (I mean... everything) you need to replace your entire front and rear suspension with stock replacement pieces and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. They also threw in a Monte Carlo bar (for the shock towers under the hood), and complete front and rear sway bars.

Something like $1100 shipped, and the lady on the other end of the phone was friendly, as described by my wife after she ordered it for me.

I had good luck with Laurel Mountain Mustang's Super Suspension kit. It came with everything (I mean... everything) you need to replace your entire front and rear suspension with stock replacement pieces and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. They also threw in a Monte Carlo bar (for the shock towers under the hood), and complete front and rear sway bars.

Something like $1100 shipped, and the lady on the other end of the phone was friendly, as described by my wife after she ordered it for me.
I had good luck with laurel mountain mustangs stuff too

Awesome feedback guys...thanks for the replys. Leaning towards the L-mountain super kit.

Looks like a good way to go.

One of the first things I purchased was the full suspension kit from LMM, It's all boxed up still in the workshop, can't wait to fit it.

Are there any members who have fitted the kit yet? how did it go together and how does the ride feel?

One of the first things I purchased was the full suspension kit from LMM, It's all boxed up still in the workshop, can't wait to fit it.

Are there any members who have fitted the kit yet? how did it go together and how does the ride feel?
Mine's on - but I'm a long way from actually using it. ;)

Went on like a champ - I had the front suspension on and back on its wheels within a couple hours, and the rear went on just like it's supposed to with no hassles (outside of the repairing/replacing the badness that was on my car in the way of munched upper shock mounts and whatnot).

There was something missing in the front suspension that I can't remember right now - I think it was something like a couple of bolts. I'll need to look back to when I installed the kit to know for sure. It was something I picked up at a local parts store, so it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

UDPATE: OK - I found it. Post # 749 of the 'What have you done to your car today' thread:

"Oh yeah - make sure when you get a 'Super Suspension Kit' from LMM (or anybody, really) that you make sure to pick up the mounting hardware. No cam bolts, no nuts for the upper control arms, and none for the spring perch 'saddles' either. I'm a little disappointed that my $1100 fell short of a dozen or so fasteners critical to reassembly."

Otherwise - everything was great! Keep in mind that I had pretty much nothing usable from the suspension that came with my car - it was so rusted out and far gone that I was replacing absolutely everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Oh yeah - make sure when you get a 'Super Suspension Kit' from LMM (or anybody, really) that you make sure to pick up the mounting hardware. No cam bolts, no nuts for the upper control arms, and none for the spring perch 'saddles' either. I'm a little disappointed that my $1100 fell short of a dozen or so fasteners critical to reassembly."

Otherwise - everything was great! Keep in mind that I had pretty much nothing usable from the suspension that came with my car - it was so rusted out and far gone that I was replacing absolutely everything.
Were the parts supposed to be included, or were the parts shorted?

For $1100, you should get a parts list to make sure you get everything right in the first place. Quite frankly, it isn't that hard for the vendor. All they need is to accurately WEIGH the item when they ship.

If I were shipping you $1100 worth of parts, I would get it right.

Were the parts supposed to be included, or were the parts shorted?

For $1100, you should get a parts list to make sure you get everything right in the first place. Quite frankly, it isn't that hard for the vendor. All they need is to accurately WEIGH the item when they ship.

If I were shipping you $1100 worth of parts, I would get it right.
Nope - they weren't part of the 'kit.' All of the parts were sealed in plastic bags... those fasteners just weren't included. I'm thinking they expect them to be re-used. Like I said, none of those fasteners were re-usable on mine, but a quick trip to the parts store took care of that.

Went on like a champ - I had the front suspension on and back on its wheels within a couple hours, and the rear went on just like it's supposed to with no hassles (outside of the repairing/replacing the badness that was on my car in the way of munched upper shock mounts and whatnot).

There was something missing in the front suspension that I can't remember right now - I think it was something like a couple of bolts. I'll need to look back to when I installed the kit to know for sure. It was something I picked up at a local parts store, so it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

UDPATE: OK - I found it. Post # 749 of the 'What have you done to your car today' thread:

That's cool to hear! I've purchased the right type of internal spring compressor to assist in the rebuild.

Does it matter what way the spring saddles sit on the top A arm? - spring end to the front or rear?

That's cool to hear! I've purchased the right type of internal spring compressor to assist in the rebuild.

Does it matter what way the spring saddles sit on the top A arm? - spring end to the front or rear?
Just gotta make sure the 'end' of the top coil fits into the 'pocket' either on the lower spring perch or the top (I can't remember whether it's up or down... you know when you see it).

Good luck with it!

Back