Switched to Antique Plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Michigan the historical plate is 30.00 dollars and is good for ten years. I drive the car every where and never have been pull over because off the plate. There blue but for the price who cars. I have a 1973 MI plate on the front. The state has not required front plate for years.

John J

The classic registration we do doesn't give you classic plates, you just don't have to get emissions done each year. Otherwise 67 and newer require testing. We do have classic plates available to vehicles 25 year or older cars. $25 first year and $10 each additional over the regular registration which runs about $20 per year. The classic plates are used to be copper, I think now just copper color

043.gif

The classic registration we do doesn't give you classic plates, you just don't have to get emissions done each year. Otherwise 67 and newer require testing. We do have classic plates available to vehicles 25 year or older cars. $25 first year and $10 each additional over the regular registration which runs about $20 per year. The classic plates are used to be copper, I think now just copper color

043.gif
In your earlier post you said it was a 2000 miles a year limitation. I believe the ARS just states that the policy includes limited miles (along with the other stipulations).

Also the ARS used to state that the plate had to be made from 'Arizona Copper'. I wonder if they changed this and if they finally ran out of old plates? I picked up a set in 98 which was the first year I could run them. (They use model year, not build year, I checked). :) At that time they had a stash of plates that were already made.

It took a while but I finally figured out why some people asked me if my car was a 77.

With the 25 years old requirement you see some interesting cars with 'historic plates'.

Last edited by a moderator:
DMV told me 2K miles or less per year, not sure if they were just pulling that out of the air or what but I assumed they were correct. On the copper plates I just assume they are not doing copper anymore due to the increase in copper price, I guess I should stop by an ask

DMV told me they just check to make sure it is classic/antique insurance. When the law first passed I read the ARS and it does not specify mileage but did specify there had to be a limit on the miles.

I didn't look up the ARS again but here is a blurb from the website:

https://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

Last edited by a moderator:
$55.00 one time fee here in Washington State, never have to renew, no yearly tabs on them and only required on back of the car. No mileage restrictions as long as the miles are for pleasure, excursions, testing, car shows, etc as long as the car isn't being used for primary transportation or commercial uses.

Vehicles with these plates:

•Must have a current registration.

•Must be more than 30 years old.

•Be capable of operating on the highway.

•Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.

•May be driven: ◦To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.

◦For testing purposes.

◦For the pleasure of others without compensation.

•May not be used for:

◦Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

◦Commercial purposes

One time fee in TN for the Antique Collectable plate and no more fees. YEA! In TN like some other plates you are allowed to run a vintage plate (period correct in the law) and maintain the antique plate in the vehicle if you should get pulled over.

Since my car was sold new in Utah I located a 1972 Utah plate. I recently found someone to restore it and had it restored for $25. Looks brand new. I also found an origginal Utah registration sticker brand new on eBay. Below is a picture of the plate before it was restored. I also have 1972 TN plates and 1972 WI plates to show all of my moves around the country.

P1010566.JPG

With my 67' GT I was fortunate enough to find a set of CA black plates in the boxes of parts with the car when I bought it back in the late 80's. I believe these may have been the original plates for the car.

67 outside3v2 092709.JPG

Back