Tempest's 1972 Mustang Mach 1 restoration process...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So quick update on the 72 Mach 1, got most of the body work done on the top of the car and really didn't feel like crawling under the car and fixing dented torque boxes and areas in the frame rails where it looked like the rear end came out and hit a part of the rear frame rails, so i decided to build a rotisserie to make life easier for this project and future build projects. What a life saver just to stand up and weld underneath the car not on my back, to clean up welded areas, and its also nice to be able to roll the car around with no suspension under it.

575.JPG576.JPG577.JPG581.JPG584.JPG585.JPG590.JPG591.JPG593.JPG597.JPG

Got the mustang sandblasted this weekend and hopefully get it primed tonight..... Video of the car after being blasted.

Got some white epoxy primer on the mustang after spending the weekend sandblasting it. Next step is to finish up the fenders, doors, hood and trunk, then get them primed with the epoxy and start test fitting the car back together one panel at a time.

610.JPG613.JPG614.JPG622.JPG635.JPG636.JPG645.JPG647.JPG649.JPG650.JPG651.JPG652.JPG655.JPG662.JPG

Serious job your doing there,I hope the restoration on my mach1 won't need as much welding. Super job keep up the good work then fly over to Ireland and give me a hand with mine.:):)

Its been a while since i posted anything on this build as its been really slow with the holidays, but here you guys go. Got most of the other major parts to the mustang sandblasted or stripped down and in epoxy primer and most of the major assembly done to test and adjust gaps and panel alignment. The next step is to finish the hood alignment and fitment, then hopefully come up with a good plan on what direction to go with the paint.

688.JPG692.JPG701.JPG702.JPG718.JPG732 - Copy.JPG739.JPG743.JPG751.JPG752.JPG746.JPG763.JPG766.JPG772.JPG

looks like you do damn nice work
Thanks I appreciate it, I'm trying to refine my work and make it a little better on each project.

I built the rotisserie found some plans online (listed the link below) and modified them to meet my needs better. If your interested and have the fab skills let me know as I can give you some ideas I added to the basic plans to make it work better. While doing research it costs me around $650 + or - a little bit to build, but is a lot stronger and better quality then anything you could buy for the $1000 range.

http://www.autobody101.com/rotisserie_plans.pdf

+1, really like your work.

Where did you pick up the Rotisserie? I am in the market for one.

thx

-jbojo

Thx for the link Rick. I think that I'll be able to fab one up.

-jbojo

I built the rotisserie found some plans online (listed the link below) and modified them to meet my needs better. If your interested and have the fab skills let me know as I can give you some ideas I added to the basic plans to make it work better. While doing research it costs me around $650 + or - a little bit to build, but is a lot stronger and better quality then anything you could buy for the $1000 range.

thx

-jbojo

Jbojo,

If you go off those plans I do recommend two major modifications to them. 1 add a height adjustment to the main upright if you plan on flipping the car around and then while the car is on the rotisserie you can easily raise and lower it. This will also help in mounting the car to the rotisserie as you don't have to initially get the car high in the air. In the future I plan on adding two hydraulic jacks but right now I have been using my frame bender jack to save some money. 2. On the part of the rotisserie that balances the car personally adding the threaded rod adjuster was a huge time saver in the long run. With a simple 3/4 wrench now I can balance the car up and down to make it easy to roll then lock it into place with the bolts. Like I was saying if you want any measurements off mine or any close up pics PM me...

Thx for the link Rick. I think that I'll be able to fab one up.

-jbojo

thx

-jbojo

Back