Temporary fuel leak?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I have been taking apart lots of things in my engine bay, replacing alt, ps pump, valve covers, all a/c components from firewall forward,fuel filter, all hoses, some wiring, etc.  Finally got it back together today and fired it expecting to see a few leaks.  All I encountered was a fuel leak, seamed to come from the fuel pump.  I went to tighten the bottom line but there was nothing to tighten.   I had replaced the fuel filter and rubber lines connecting it which is next to the pump but no leaks there.  After about a minute of leaking it stopped.  Let the car idle for 20 mins, no leaks of any kind.   I then flushed the radiator for the final time and ran it again with no leaks.  What could have caused that temp fuel leak, pressure stabilizing?   Being I replaced the filter and lines at the carb there was no gas from the pump forward when I started it.  Not complaining, no leaks of any kind now..

Maybe the rubber line heated up and sealed. You do need to check and make sure. I use the fuel injection type clamps they are smooth and do not distort the rubber. here is a pic of one on my transmission cooler. This is to just show the type clamps. I started mine the other day and had leak up at carb. had only been 4 weeks since I checked them all. You should look at often.

20200807_132338.jpg

20200807_132304.jpg

20200807_132313.jpg

Back