The Day I've Been Waiting For Part II

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay Olie,

What 5 speed setup did you go with? What type of build have you done with your 460? No doubt that is one fun ride!
i went with the TKO 600 tremec transmission which i really like. on my build i have a 71 block, 69 heads that were mildly ported but mainly had the roofs raised with a xe274 cam. i love the cam in a manual car because it ends so nicely at 650ish and it so tame and it revs to 6000. the torque above 2000 is so strong. the motor is topped with a offenhauser port o sonic intake and a 870 street avenger. i use to have crites 2 inch primary headers and i downsized to PPA 1 3/4 primary tube headers primary for the ground clearance issues, going into 3 inch head pipes into 3 inch magnaflow mufflers and 2.5 tail pipes (tail tips now rusted and need to be replaced)

are you thinking about joining the 460 club here?

Did you end up getting drum brakes on the front or what were you up to?
yes i found the drum brake spindles and hubs in a junkyard in minnesota (i love the internet) the spindles was 75 to my door, and the hubs/drum were 70 to my door (drums tossed in the trash) = $145. i had to clean them up really good and all but happy with the price.

still going with the cobra brake set up with the applicable year magnum 500's in 18's. its going to be a while because next wednesday is my SURGERY DATE on my chest!!!!

look s great. I especially love the flower seat covers;) haha. The paint job looks fantastic can't wait for a vid to here it grumble ::goodjob::
i was going to do one of those on my IPHONE today. and to especially show you guys how nice, low and tamed i got a xe274 cam idling. (never in a million year it'll idle so smooth with a automatic)

Olie

Did you have to shorten the drive shaft for the 5spd setup? She looks great love the colour combo, Ford should have done that originally.

The flowered seat covers remind me of Hawaii...the ones you get a Hilo Hattie's!!

Ken
those seat covers are hawaiian seat covers and are green. they are originally on my dad's green boss 351. those are just there temporarily and i plan on using some racing seats so i can recline the seat some and just have better seats.

Olie

Did you have to shorten the drive shaft for the 5spd setup? She looks great love the colour combo, Ford should have done that originally.

The flowered seat covers remind me of Hawaii...the ones you get a Hilo Hattie's!!

Ken
i originally had c6, i actually had to have the driveline lengthen. legally, no driveline shop can lengthen a drive line. they cut off my tube and replaced it with a brand new one. the price for the tube, balancing, new u-joints came out to be 180 dollars or so.

Last edited:
Sorry Olie but I do not plan to join the 460 club. I have run my share of 460's but I think I will stay with my 351. TKO 600 now that is part of my dream. Here's hoping that all goes well for you in the surgery department.

:idea:X open the hood and snap some pics
the engine bay is full of body shop debris still (sanded off bondo and primer) and i'm trying to chase that oil leak and the auto hobby shop here doesn't have a pressure washer. i think i'm going to head down to walmart and get some engine degreaser and go to town with the garden hose. i'll try to take some pics of the engine but but its still a cluter f%^&* right now. i haven't been working on that end of the car too much yet. hell, when i had my heater core start leaking, i had to take out the lines going to it and i had to make a mini wrap around hose to the water pump to manifold. that needs to be taken care of (thinking of just putting plugs for now)
I would not let any engine degreaser get near that new paint use dawn dish soap.

Yeah you will be surprised at what will eat through fresh paint.... go real mild till that stuff cures out good, and remember just because it was dry enough to wetsand and buff doesnt mean its fully cured out !!!.... BTW, im digging the hood locks !

:idea:X open the hood and snap some pics
the engine bay is full of body shop debris still (sanded off bondo and primer) and i'm trying to chase that oil leak and the auto hobby shop here doesn't have a pressure washer. i think i'm going to head down to walmart and get some engine degreaser and go to town with the garden hose. i'll try to take some pics of the engine but but its still a cluter f%^&* right now. i haven't been working on that end of the car too much yet. hell, when i had my heater core start leaking, i had to take out the lines going to it and i had to make a mini wrap around hose to the water pump to manifold. that needs to be taken care of (thinking of just putting plugs for now)
I would not let any engine degreaser get near that new paint use dawn dish soap.
X2 YOU WILL STAIN THE FINISH if you use degreaser...I wouldn't use Dawn...It will stain the finish too ! I use dawn to strip the wax off of a car when I do a detail job..The only thing you should use is a very mild car wash soap..for the first 90 days..I wonder why they didn't tape off & bag the engine bay when they were doing the body work..Seems like all the other work they did was top notch.

i bought some engine bright stuff from Walmart. i have 4 fender covers and i used every single one of them to cover up my fenders. i used a old soft korean mink blanket to cover the top of the car. i applied the stuff on for 5 minutes then use a very soft mist of water over the engine to lightly wash away all the engine bright stuff. i lightly did this for 10 minutes to make sure everything was gone. then i went to town on the power wash part of my nozzle.

have no fear nothing got onto my fenders on or on top of the car. the only thing that got went was the top of the hood in which i made sure i dried it off immediately and used my air nozzle to dry it. i made sure to air nozzle around all my electronics.

as of now, i i tightened up all the valve cover bolts and the timing cover bolts and i see absolutely no leak. when i let the motor run for about 5 minutes looking for a leak i decided to retune the car because there was a light hestitation on moderate acceleration. on light throttle there was nothing and a little heavier throttle there was nothing. i reset the timing to about 14 and reset the idle mixture screws and setting the idle at 600. i took her out on about a 10 mile drive and when i came back i let her run for another 5 minutes to look for the leak and everything is absolutely dry. the only thing somewhat wet is where my dipstick goes into its tube. so now i can't find where the oil came from originally. maybe it was just my valve cover or somewhere on the timing cover that was looking. so far, so good on the oil leak issue!!!

however, in the middle of the tuning, i broke a window roller and now i got to fix it hopefully before my surgery. might as well, buy the locking gas cap, battery hold down parts, and front license plate bracket as well as i'm at it.:-/:-/:-/

and boy, she's driving so strong. i even let the "ACTUAL" Maria drive her today! she's surprised on how strong a 460 can drive.

i will take a picture of my engine bay tomorrow but i'm warning you guys now, its nothing pretty. i got missing paint on my valve covers and their breathers already. and some unorganized wires (1 wire alternator will fix alot of this mess):D:D

Last edited:
Olie,

Looking forward to the underhood pictures regardless. No doubt but you have one fine and fun ride. Just sweet with that TKO and a 460. We will be looking forward to your quick recovery and return to us here after your Wednesday surgery date. All the best.

Olie,

Looking forward to the underhood pictures regardless. No doubt but you have one fine and fun ride. Just sweet with that TKO and a 460. We will be looking forward to your quick recovery and return to us here after your Wednesday surgery date. All the best.
i'll take some picture of the underhood today when i take her out.

on my surgery, i'm having pec major tendon repair. they are taking the chest tendon that snapped off my arm and reattach it using anchors and suitors. its going to be about 2-3 months until i can work on the stang. i might have to take the mustant to get my 04 cobra brakes installed.

Olie,

Congratulations on your car. It looks awesome, and I'm sure it drives just as nicely. Let me offer my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Can't have you waiting any longer than necessary to get back to your project. God Speed.

Tim

i appreciate all the support from you guys on my chest surgery. maybe god is telling me at the age of 28 i might have to take it easy sometimes and i have to warm up properly and not think pretty heavy weight is a warm up even though they are light to lift. its going to be a while until i am bench pressing 130-150lbs dumbbells. i tore it doing incline dumbbell bench press and after only 1 rep with the 150lbs. its going to be a even a longer time until i think 100lbs dumbbells are light.

but i was taking out alot of trash after breakfast this morning and couldn't help but to open up the hood and see if i have a oil leak somewhere under the hood when i walked passed "maria" on the way to the trash.

so here is my ugly engine bay.

DSC01283.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

DSC01286.JPG

Love the set up, I have a question on your TKO 600 5 speed swap, What would you say it cost you to do the swap? ( just transmission) I got my 532 and C6 now but its not a comfortable cruise down the highway at 3500+ rpms@65mph!!!

Ive been looking into the TKO 600 and the T56-- Im figuring the T56 will be a 3000 dollar deal by the time its said n done but they say there rated to 700 Ftlbs but can handle more. Ive never dyno'd mine but with 532 all roller with P51 heads im up there somewhere:)

Also where'd you source all your parts from? Bellhousing, clutch flywheel ect?

Thanks for your info and hope your boob feels better:)

Love the set up, I have a question on your TKO 600 5 speed swap, What would you say it cost you to do the swap? ( just transmission) I got my 532 and C6 now but its not a comfortable cruise down the highway at 3500+ rpms@65mph!!!

Ive been looking into the TKO 600 and the T56-- Im figuring the T56 will be a 3000 dollar deal by the time its said n done but they say there rated to 700 Ftlbs but can handle more. Ive never dyno'd mine but with 532 all roller with P51 heads im up there somewhere:)

Also where'd you source all your parts from? Bellhousing, clutch flywheel ect?

Thanks for your info and hope your boob feels better:)
a T56 will require you to cut the floor but i dont know if the TKO600 will handle your power or it might if you don't use slicks. if you got around 600tq and just a lil north of 600 on the HP. bruce at www.moderndriveline.com says it'll probably live without breaking on the street but if you start dragging with slicks anything is now possible.

feel free to email me with question!

Latest posts

Back