the dreaded heater core

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt mine.

Take out the front seats, center console, optional pull the front carpet section out.

Take the dash apart and pull the dash, i'm not kidding.

the AC cars do not have easy access to the heater core at all you have to get the box out to service it and the evaporator coil.

there are all kinds of alignment issues when you put things together and it is very difficult to get the box back in without breaking the fiberglass.

I did not take my dash out and it took me 2 Days to get the box back behind the dash and it was a game of tetris i will never repeat again.

i swore if i ever did it again the entire frame of the dash was coming out. you pretty much have to take half the dash apart just maneuvering things so why not just go all out. if the heater core is gone, chances are the evaporator is gone and the lower flapper door is either rusted away or filled with junk from the fresh air vent.

also you want to check for cowl rust and leaks and damage.

when i did mine

http://s1031.beta.photobucket.com/user/72hcode/library/Heater%20Box%20AC

Thanks 72HCODE... I already have the interior ripped... Seats, console, carpet, steering wheel and the dashpad. I started on the passenger side of the dash tonight, looks like a pretty big job taking the entire dash out, I'm gonna take my time and lots of pictures. I'm okay at putting things back together right, I'm worried about all the wires and plugs getting hooked back up right. I did buy a set of seals so I'll have all new seals to rebuild it with. I looked at your pictures, it looks like a real mess getting it pulled apart. I took a look at mine and it actually looks like it's in pretty good shape. Not sure why the PO would have left an old heater core in a rebuilt box?? Go figure. I may be in touch...

We are going to tackle the heater core this weekend, I will update on how things are going:s
Here's the Manual. Open the picture. Then Microsoft drawing from the dropdown at the top. You can size and print from there.
That's an awesome breakdown of the parts Mark. Is that a service manual? Know where to go for detailed drawings now. LOL

You dont need to remove the whole box to change out the heater core..There is an access panel that covers the core...remove the panel..the core comes out,,
Qcode351,

Do you have an ac car? I do need to change my heater core, but after looking at taking the whole box out, looks like a gigantic pain. If there is a way to replace the heater core without removing the box, that will be my first choice. Please let me know. Thanks

You dont need to remove the whole box to change out the heater core..There is an access panel that covers the core...remove the panel..the core comes out,,
Qcode351,

Do you have an ac car? I do need to change my heater core, but after looking at taking the whole box out, looks like a gigantic pain. If there is a way to replace the heater core without removing the box, that will be my first choice. Please let me know. Thanks
My car is not an a/c car there is a rectangular cover over the heater core a few sheet metal screws hold the cover on..I would think a a/c car would have the same provision since it makes no sense that if the car needed service (at the dealer) you would have to remove the entire assembly just to change out the heater core

Last edited by a moderator:
Qcode351,

My car is not an a/c car there is a rectangular cover over the heater core a few sheet metal screws hold the cover on..I would think a a/c car would have the same provision since it makes no sense that if the car needed service (at the dealer) you would have to remove the entire assembly just to change out the heater core
And how long have you been working on Fords? Don't ever think Ford designed things to be easy...

Qcode351,

You have to remove the entire assembly to service. Read the service manual I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Qcode351,

You have to remove the entire assembly to service. Read the service manual I posted.
Agreed. The ac cars are a whole different animal! Pull the passenger seat, console and the right side of the dash away from the A pillar to pull the box and replace the cores.

Qcode351,

Message received... I will hopefully have some free time this weekend to get the box out. I'll probably post another thread with all the pictures I've taken. Thanks!

Qcode351,

Hope my 73 non a/c has that cover too!!Got to do mine this spring

Like 72HCode, I pulled the dash panel, it was much easier and I was able to do lots of cleanup of other items while in there. I once had to do a heater core on an '86 F150 with AC, thought it would be a bear but it DID have an access panel. Took less than an hour! Not the case with a '71-73 that's for sure...

You guys have pretty much talked me out of changing mine out for now, I have a ton of other stuff to do for now. I'm going to wait until spring to do the heater core when it warms up a little bit and can concentrate on the job at hand instead of trying to stay warm;)

Has anyone restored their heat/ac box while it was removed? Just wiped down the outside or blasted it with walnut shell or something similar? What would you use to clean and restore the surface appearance? I figured I'd bead blast all the metal parts and then paint or powder coat them, install the new cores and gaskets and foam before putting my box back into my car.

Thoughts?

The rest is pretty strait up and down. Just be carefull of how you handle the box. Some can be pretty brittle. I can send you the service manual how to if you need it.
Hi Mark,

I need to probably change the heater core. The passenger side floor full with coolant. I alreday flush the engine and disconnect the heater core.

I'm interested about the "how to" manuel.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot Mark, I did :)

I will be busy tomorrow, but on one side I'm lucky, I don't have A/C.

I notice a little steam on the inside passenger side of my 73 the last time I drove it so it looks like a heater core is in my future too. Good tips here.

Here we go, I started today, but stopped after a while, pain in my back after removed and set a new starter motor on the Celica Supra.

I'll continue sometimes this week.

73StangCoupé, did you open a thread with pics about this job?

Thanks.

Back