The Guitar Lounge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice basses and rig.

I used to have an early eighties Squier Precision Bass which I unfortunately sold in a weak moment. :(

Same goes for my Auerswald. All gone.
I tell you what, I recently played a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass, and was amazed at the clarity of a 300.00 guitar. I have more than that in preamps in most of my stuff.

I cannot believe how good squier quality is these days. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

Yup, Squier quality today is awesome. I bought a 300$ Strat (Classic Vibe 50) becasue it happened to have a highly flamed maple neck that Warmoth would have claimed AAA quality, so I grabbed it just for the neck.

That Strat was so good it was amazing. Ok, no Custom Shop quality but way more than you would expect. Both me and my guitar buddy in my band, who also has all the good stuff like Fender Custom Shop, Tyler, Spalt, Diezel VH-4 etc, agreed that with that kind of quality in a 300$ guitar it was really hard to justify the purchase of any guitar at ten times that price.

Or how he put it:" I hate to admit that this is all you´ll ever need."

My bass was one of those famous early Japanese made Squiers that are highly collectible by now. You know... hindsight.... :(

Nice collections Tim and Rolland! I do love that 70s 3 tone sunburst Tim.

When I grew up in the 70s, Strats had big headstocks and black pgs. Anything else was old and rubbish! People moan about the quality or shape of them these days (in the same way as they do about the 71-73 Mustangs!) but if you get a good one they're great. I have two 79 Strats and love them. And in my opinion their sound is far superior than any Custom shop you can get today.

When I grew up in the 70s, Strats had big headstocks and black pgs. Anything else was old and rubbish! People moan about the quality or shape of them these days (in the same way as they do about the 71-73 Mustangs!) but if you get a good one they're great. I have two 79 Strats and love them. And in my opinion their sound is far superior than any Custom shop you can get today.
My Indonesian and Korean Laklands smoke just about any Fender that I've played. Since I play mostly 5 string now, there are a few things for me that are a must.

35" scale

19mm string spacing

String through body is a preference

Active electronics - I prefer Bartolini and Audere preamps

I had an American deluxe 5 string bass. 1800.00 new, and the B string on that bass sucked so bad I didn't play it. I traded it for my JO5, and it was the best trade I've ever made.

The guy had to have an american fender. I'll take Lakland anyday. The Lakland guys in Chicago setup my bass, PLEK'd the frets and made me a custom pickguard.

Another thing about Lakland is they are consistent from bass to bass. All of the ones that I own or have played have been like butter. Smooth and predictable.

Fender doesn't give you that kind of service for their foreign jobs.

There are some really good 70s Strats but the Strats of that era mostly did earn their bad reputation.

I´ve owned about 7 or 8 Strats from the 70s and played at least 20 more. Only 3 or 4 of them were killers, most were just below average and a great deal of them really sucked.

No body contours, sloppy neck pockets, uncomfortable necks, bad fret jobs and mostly heavy as a boat anchor.

Same with the 1980 "THE STRAT" I used to own. That thing sucked so bad I couldn´t even sell it for a long time. I eventually did sell it for the price of a new Korean Squier back then. Now they sell for crazy amounts, no matter how good (or bad) they are.

My 73 is a very good one, not because it´s mine but it´s the only 70s Strat that was worth keeping in the end. It was also the only good one I ever owned.

My friend has a 79 natural one that is ok but not really good and a 77 that features all of the above problems.

Mostly it has no sustain whatsoever. Although it sounds pretty good when you try it alone, it dies in a band context.

You really need to fight it and the result is not worth the effort. You hear a "pling" and then the sound drowns in the context.

It´s really pretty though, white with maple neck and the big headstock, I almost bought it from him. In the end I´m just glad I didn´t.

Bottom line is, yeah, if you get a good one they can be really good (as you know with yours) but don´t count on it. I think that they are really overrated so they bring some cash on the vintage market.

The 50 s and 60s ones are just the opposite.

There are dogs too but they are scarce and even the dogs tend to be better than most other guitars.

I´ve only played two that were average.

Now the good ones.... those are heavenly. :angel:

I rate Korean guitars too. Some of them can be just as good as Japanese guitars.

I don't know much about basses, just my mate used to play a Tokai Precision in our old band in the 80s and our current bass player plays a Warwick Thumb 5 string. He's also got a signed Japanese Fender Precision Noel Redding.

Last edited by a moderator:
$_20.jpgHi all I have been offered this guitar at what I think is a reasonable price $300AUD. What are they like and I don't play so be brutally honest. iam just looking to maybe grab it and flip it for $50-100

This is the actual guitar ESP Kirk Hammett signature Ouija no dings or scratches or anything bad or loose. was suppose to be $1400 new. Is it a Chinese guitar?

Thanks in advance Luke

$_20.jpg

To be honest man..If that is the real deal, it is worth 3,000 all day long " if it's the 1990's version" they only made 42ish i think of them , made in Japan custom shop, Honestly i like "some" Japan guitars better than American, they make high quality guitars. If this is one of the new NAM show Kirk ESP's, the price is 9,000 dollars. buyer beware thou!! this guitar has been faked alot!! Extremely limited.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-KH-2-OUIJA-KIRK-HAMMETT-SIGNATURE-GUITAR-VERY-RARE-CUSTOM-SHOP-/181708933129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4eb24809&nma=true&si=KwDku%252FDGGfmSzu3FWkPyJ83oyUg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

But!! that could be a Korean and Indonesian-made LTD..Watch out for the old LTD trick, but even the LTD version of this guitar was limited, and i heard around the same price you talking about originally," 1400$" but LTD is known for cheaper version of ESP. They are pretty much like Ephiphone is too Gibson.

To be honest man..If that is the real deal, it is worth 3,000 all day long " if it's the 1990's version" they only made 42ish i think of them , made in Japan custom shop, Honestly i like "some" Japan guitars better than American, they make high quality guitars. If this is one of the new NAM show Kirk ESP's, the price is 9,000 dollars. buyer beware thou!! this guitar has been faked alot!! Extremely limited.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-KH-2-OUIJA-KIRK-HAMMETT-SIGNATURE-GUITAR-VERY-RARE-CUSTOM-SHOP-/181708933129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4eb24809&nma=true&si=KwDku%252FDGGfmSzu3FWkPyJ83oyUg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

this one sold for little less than 3200.. He took a offer, i'm sure it was not much less..lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTD-by-ESP-KH-OUIJA-Kirk-Hammett-Metallica-Limited-Edition-550-pieces-/181726692234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item2a4fc1438a

this is the one i think you got thou...seems to be 2,000 ish new..neck has that little inlay to tell them apart...diff stamps on the back, still limited too 550'ish. If all seems legit, i would take his arm off at that price for a nice custom shop japan guitar.
Thanks dude I did some more asking trying to play it cool. Its a Kirk Hammett signature limited signature not a Ouija. dude put the decals on himself it is this guitar I believe so probs still a good deal makes me want to learn to play.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-kh-602-kirk-hammett-signature-series-guitar

Yes!! i had to look a little more, i noticed the mark on the neck and i had to look up the LTD ;) i hate when ESP does that.. LTD is there cheap line, " not made in japan" Korea or indonesia

Now saying that, i know some people hate korean guitars, but i played some that was not bad at all. Most of the new guitars are decent players over all..feel down the neck, if you can feel every frett, you can tell they did not finish it well...Korea did put out some high quality guitars for a very short time in the 60's tring to break into japan's market, but they got down graded real fast and went for the cheap market " American and Japan had the spendy market owned"

Korea is the new Japan, in cars as well as guitars. Those guys can build some pretty high quality stuff.

Korea is the new Japan, in cars as well as guitars. Those guys can build some pretty high quality stuff.
They are, they're getting it down to the point now that most modern guitars sold " cheap or not" play decent and have good sounds, some use cheaping parts, but still the guitar plays just about the same. But i have ran into a few Korean guitars that did not shave the fretts down enough and it felt pretty rough down the neck. thats about it thou..nothing i could not play on stage all day thou ;)

Good news. Yesterday I scored a great gig. A band named "Angels´s Whisper" has hired me to play with them.

It´s basically a guitarist and a female singer who hire musicians for recording and playing live but it seems they wanna make me a part of it, not just a hired gun.

Here´s an interview with the guy from a radio show and they play a few songs. I just love it, the singer has a fabulous voice (looks good too) and the production really rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LXiFaX8-qc

Here´s what we are gonna do for now, an acoustic trio. Everything toned down and no smoke screens to hide behind:

Thanks :). We got a sound engineer from the Abbey Road studio (who's recorded for the Stereophonics) to record and mix it.

For the lead I used my Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded through a Vox AC30 Hand Wired X2 amp and a Fulltone OCD.

Cool Mike!! I hope that works out for the best, and looks like a very talented group.

Some good sounding production too Mike and Mark. Our singer been going to school for music production for the last 4 years, we are excited to try out his new studio , some of our test already made our old stuff sound soooo bad..lol

some of our old cover recordings we use to hand out to the local bars years ago, recording really dated now..lol

Good news. Yesterday I scored a great gig. A band named "Angels´s Whisper" has hired me to play with them.

It´s basically a guitarist and a female singer who hire musicians for recording and playing live but it seems they wanna make me a part of it, not just a hired gun...
That's very cool, looking forward to hearing your recordings. Weren't they at one time a part of a band called ISIS Child?

We recorded this one last weekend too, a bit more up tempo.
I like it! It has the same beat and rhythm of another song I know, I just can't place it. it'll bug me until it comes to me.

Back