The Infamous 1973 351C Engine Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Empty Stable Currently
Just thought I would throw this out there as I know when I went on my search for a new set of motor mounts for my 73 351C it was a bit like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack. Not pleasant.

I finally came across these guys:

G08773 73 CP/FB 302-351 urethane Motor Mounts, pair .........$142.95

And it seemed to good to be true! So I sent them an email to confirm

"Are these new mounts or are the used? These will work in a 73 for the 351C motor? Thank you!"

Their response:

"They are brand new mounts based off the 2257 mounts but have the bolt through style upper and lower brackets. They WILL NOT work for convertible unless you obtain Coupe Fastback shock tower brackets first."

5153hr.jpg

So at some point in the future I think I'm going to give them a shot!

Here's their webpage for anyone curious (They have lots of other parts as well)

Mustang Barn

Hope this helps someone out! If anyone actually gets a set of these, respond back here with your feedback!

Just thought I would throw this out there as I know when I went on my search for a new set of motor mounts for my 73 351C it was a bit like trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack. Not pleasant.

I finally came across these guys:

G08773 73 CP/FB 302-351 urethane Motor Mounts, pair .........$142.95

And it seemed to good to be true! So I sent them an email to confirm

"Are these new mounts or are the used? These will work in a 73 for the 351C motor? Thank you!"

Their response:

"They are brand new mounts based off the 2257 mounts but have the bolt through style upper and lower brackets. They WILL NOT work for convertible unless you obtain Coupe Fastback shock tower brackets first."

5153hr.jpg

So at some point in the future I think I'm going to give them a shot!

Here's their webpage for anyone curious (They have lots of other parts as well)

Mustang Barn

Hope this helps someone out! If anyone actually gets a set of these, respond back here with your feedback!
This (link below) is where I purchased my brand new/rebuilt mounts. Rebuilt with brand new vulcanized rubber. Just received shipment and they do a great job rebuilding the originals! Once you're done replacing them with the rebuilt one, send them the cores back and your cost is $190. + shipping. Atleast you'll know they're the exactly correct ones since these guys only rebuild the 73 mounts, so I'm sure they know what they look like!

mountshttp://www.mustangsetc.com/73-mustang-302-351-motor-mount-rebuilt-fits-coupe-fastback/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat,

Are the 72 mounts taller than the 73? If so that would explain why I was able to use a manifold with a taller carb base and still fit the Ram air system. I appears that the motor in a 73 might sit lower than a 71/72 with the 73 mounts.

Could this have been an attempt by Ford to lower the engine a bit to compensate for the added height of the 73 EGR plate?

If so, that may negate my theory that ram-air was ( in part) not offered on late 72 and 73 4-Vs due to the additional height with the EGR plate.

Interesting...

urethane can increase vibration a bit.

Could this have been an attempt by Ford to lower the engine a bit to compensate for the added height of the 73 EGR plate?

If so, that may negate my theory that ram-air was ( in part) not offered on late 72 and 73 4-Vs due to the additional height with the EGR plate.

Interesting...
I heard it was a safety issue

On the earlier mounts, if one broke you could get a stuck accelerator cable. The captive mounts cannot break / let the engine lift up.

Pat,

Are the 72 mounts taller than the 73? If so that would explain why I was able to use a manifold with a taller carb base and still fit the Ram air system. I appears that the motor in a 73 might sit lower than a 71/72 with the 73 mounts.
The 71/72 frame brackets are taller. I couldn't tell you if my engine ended up sitting taller... I made so many changes over a long period of time between the two mounts.

Back