Thermostats / Engine Temp

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
I have to laugh, as I bought the old 73 so I could have a easy to work on car like I had as a kid. So my car ran at 150F yesterday and I am thinking that cant be right. Then I come on here and look up about thermostats, which for me have been a big no brainer easy to swap. Lo and behold I see a ton of posts about mods and different types and flow restricters etc etc etc! Made my head spin! I thought I was going to the auto parts and buying a simple 180 with a gasket. Jeez this is getting complicated like when I had the old Jag and Beamer!

I have to laugh, as I bought the old 73 so I could have a easy to work on car like I had as a kid. So my car ran at 150F yesterday and I am thinking that cant be right. Then I come on here and look up about thermostats, which for me have been a big no brainer easy to swap. Lo and behold I see a ton of posts about mods and different types and flow restricters etc etc etc! Made my head spin! I thought I was going to the auto parts and buying a simple 180 with a gasket. Jeez this is getting complicated like when I had the old Jag and Beamer!
My thoughts exactly. I had no idea that there was a 'special' thermostat for the Cleveland engine other than the one the parts store lists for it, correct diameter and depth. Looking at my spare block, I can see how it is supposed to work and it does make sense. Trying to find the 'correct' stat is the next problem, not seen any listed at a reasonable dollar and the ones on Ebay come with a ridiculous shipping rate to Canada, like $55!! I don't think so.

If I were building a stupid high horse power engine, I would definitely pay more attention to the many mods and improvements that many of our fellow members here suggest, but these engines have run from the factory without too many problems over the 45 years they have been on the road. However, now I know what stat I am supposed to be using, I will try to find one, but in the meantime my engine will run just fine on the store bought one I have, the same one I've run for the last 8 summers without issue.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went on Stant's website and the numbers listed do NOT show any results. I sent an email enquiry, but will be a few days till I get a reply.... if I'm lucky!

I do have to go to the NPD in Canton MI soon, there is a NAPA store nearby, so I'll call them and see if they have one or can get one.

Thanks for the tip.

Geoff.

I went on Stant's website and the numbers listed do NOT show any results. I sent an email enquiry, but will be a few days till I get a reply.... if I'm lucky!

I do have to go to the NPD in Canton MI soon, there is a NAPA store nearby, so I'll call them and see if they have one or can get one.

Thanks for the tip.

Geoff.
I went to their web site but just a generic picture of a thermostat. I guess the ones on eBay come from Australia and are about $90.00 by the time you get it here. Maybe some of the Ausi members could box up some and we could all split the cost and shipping? They list it as a Tridon TT2023-180 don't know if they have the 192 or not. Don't put a 160 in it lets the water circulate too fast and does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. Will work alright in cold weather but not for hot weather.

David

Thanks for the tip.

Geoff.
I went to their web site but just a generic picture of a thermostat. I guess the ones on eBay come from Australia and are about $90.00 by the time you get it here. Maybe some of the Ausi members could box up some and we could all split the cost and shipping? They list it as a Tridon TT2023-180 don't know if they have the 192 or not. Don't put a 160 in it lets the water circulate too fast and does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. Will work alright in cold weather but not for hot weather.

David
Now, there's a plan!!

the problem is NOT just the thermostat . it is also sometimes the brass insert . if you want to use the stock system, i suggest you buy the custom machined thermostat AND the brass insert OR buy a 50 cent freeze plug . drill a 1/8" hole in it . jb weld it into your existing brass insert . use a high flow windsor t stat . drill 4 small holes around the perimiter of the t stat.

Another correct replacement is Robert Shaw p/n 333-180 or 333-192 . Dayco also makes an orig style in 180 degrees p/n DT66A

I prefer 180 t stats to all others . this helps reduce the potential for dieseling, detonation and fuel boiling in the carburetor etc . your engine will wear quicker with a 160.

here is the 180 Robert Shaw t stat with the custom mad skirt located in the US . They have 2 left . This info was also posted by EBSTANG on another thread.

$67.0 pus $5.50 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351C-Robertshaw-Thermostat-180F-Degree-The-Correct-One-with-Copper-Skirt-351c-/182062597649?hash=item2a63c6c611:g:KPkAAOSwDk5UD1rZ

Here's the custom made restrictor plate from the same vendor

$60.00 . free shipping if you buy the other part and vise versa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171476456933

Here is a reproduction of the original 192 clevo t stat and it is made by Robert Shaw but it may or may not lesat past the skirt because the skirt is stamped just like the originals.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/333-192.html

This is the type of freeze plug you can use if you want to save $120.00 and not have to worry about the stock non custom machined system working.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Grandé I also installed a Robert Shaw 333-192 thermostat, since I get the right temp. And of course the restriction plate is in place.

As the 4V from the Mach1 came without any thermostat, I will order the same one, maybe the 180.

Back