Thinking about exhaust setups

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where should the end of the exhaust end at?

• Out the rear of the car and then angled out to the sides.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They had all the best minds in the 70s working on our cars. Technology does move forward, in back to back tests X pipes have been found to increase torque and horsepower with and without mufflers. An X pipe improves scavenging. Some folks don't like the sound though.

They had all the best minds in the 70s working on our cars. Technology does move forward, in back to back tests X pipes have been found to increase torque and horsepower with and without mufflers. An X pipe improves scavenging. Some folks don't like the sound though.
I love the sound of my set-up (especially, when it actually ran the first time I fired it up ;) ).

The weirdest thing I heard for the first time was a late-90s/early-2000s 4.6 Mustang with an 'H' pipe and Flowmasters. That truly sounded weird to me (at the time... now I just think, "late model Mustang with an 'H-pipe.')

Whatever you go with will be awesome, and give your car a lot of it's character.

I love the sound of my set-up (especially, when it actually ran the first time I fired it up ;) ).

The weirdest thing I heard for the first time was a late-90s/early-2000s 4.6 Mustang with an 'H' pipe and Flowmasters. That truly sounded weird to me (at the time... now I just think, "late model Mustang with an 'H-pipe.')

Whatever you go with will be awesome, and give your car a lot of it's character.
Oh trust me, my car is going to have a lot of character. You can see what my plans are on my build post/thread. Here is the URL to the thread if you want to read.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-update-9-6-pictures-1973-mach-1-mustang-restoration-and-story-on-how-i-found-it

And I'm glad I became a member on this site. I can do research on the weekend, post something mid-Sunday and get a lot of replies/opinions by the time school ends at 3pm. That way it is a productive way of learning about what I want to do to my car and learning in general.

Yes, technology does move forward...OHC and variable cams. You can buy them. But for the engines that WE own, the best testing determined that the H pipe worked best. These guys had all the testing equip they wanted, and the notion that current mfgs of exhaust parts can improve on what 1971-73 engineers designed for the engines THEY built is just laughable. or am i being disrespectful to magnaflow and flowmaster...who dont seem to recognize that Ford even MADE MUSTANGS AFTER 1970?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, technology does move forward...OHC and variable cams. You can buy them. But for the engines that WE own, the best testing determined that the H pipe worked best. These guys has all the testing equip they wanted, and the notion that current mfgs of exhaust parts can improve on what 1971-73 engineers designed for the engines THEY built is just laughable. or am i being disrespectful to magnaflow and flowmaster...who dont seem to recognize that Ford even MADE MUSTANGS AFTER 1970?
I believe that is a valid statement wwhite72. Some people didn't believe my '73 Mach 1 was a mustang until I showed them that it was. Most people over look the last years of the classic Mustangs just because they "weren't demanded" as the others. It is a sad fact but it is true. Our Mustangs take an acquired taste to want, and that is something we have in common. Even through the disagreements.

And that is my opinion, you don't have to take my word on anything, especially since I'm 17 and I haven't owned my '73 for long.

Dude, love your car. it is a strong car that will serve you well. It is a faithful steed that will take you to great adventures and get you home safe as well. Respect the road and the dangers out there. My first car when i was 17 was a 72 Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, love your car. it is a strong car that will serve you well. It is a faithful steed that will take you to great adventures and get you home safe as well. Respect the road and the dangers out there. My first car when i was 17 was a 72 Mustang.
I already respect the road. My first car is my 2011 Camaro, but I can say the first car I bought myself and worked on was my '73 Mach 1 Mustang. Whenever the cops pass me they wave because they know who son I am, and my cousin gives me an update on what the cops are currently driving before they are on the road, whenever the county gets new squad cars. So no matter what I'm doing, I'm careful, especially when I have someone with me. I plan on owning both my cars throughout my life and add a few here and there. Once you start a collection, you can't stop.

Yes, technology does move forward...OHC and variable cams. You can buy them. But for the engines that WE own, the best testing determined that the H pipe worked best. These guys had all the testing equip they wanted, and the notion that current mfgs of exhaust parts can improve on what 1971-73 engineers designed for the engines THEY built is just laughable. or am i being disrespectful to magnaflow and flowmaster...who dont seem to recognize that Ford even MADE MUSTANGS AFTER 1970?
I'm pretty sure the extent of what the factory tested would've been along the lines of, "To H-pipe, or not To H-pipe... that is the question." ;) I don't know that X-pipes were even thought-up yet at that point in time. I might be wrong, though. They also had design parameter constraints to work within - back in the day, the thought of a 2.5" stainless exhaust system was the stuff the racing guys used... not so much the average consumer. These days, you're seeing 2" and up exhaust systems coming from the factory - I wonder where they got that idea from. :huh:

Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynamax, et al, have more data to work with however, as their main mission is to increase the efficiency and performance of exhaust systems. Their primary purpose is to develop better exhaust systems for the engines the manufacturers put out there... just like every other performance parts manufacturer. They seem to do pretty well, as they all offer many different configurations and sizes based on budget, sound characteristics, and desired level of performance. Don't like an X-pipe? Get an H-pipe... or nothing at all. It all depends on what you want the car to do and how much you can afford.

All I'm saying is don't discount the work the aftermarket performance companies do, because Ford traditionally put out performance cars with restricted exhaust systems - I offer up my pal Jim's 63.5 Galaxie 500 XL with a 390 FE and 1 3/4" exhaust as example. But that shouldn't be restrictive on a big-block at all, right? ;) :D

Another thing to consider with the H-Pipe is the design of our transmission crossmember. It works well with a basic H-Pipe. Personally I have an X Pipe with Bassani Exhaust on my 2003 Harley F-150 and it sounds good. My experience with X Pipes on Mustangs I haven't liked them as much so far. But to many variables play into that also. Mufflers, Cats or Lack of, Pipe Size all play big in the sound. Personally I am not a fan of the obnoxiously loud exhaust systems. Good smooth rumble yes.

Sadly the OE manufacturers were good back in the day of hobbling some cars with small restrictive exhausts.

I like the factory look as to where the exhaust ends.

With cut -outs in the rear valence - use exhaust tips to give it a 'finished' look.

Of course I like the factory-correct chrome and angle tipped ones!

And if you are going to run a non-cutout type valence - have the pipes turned down just inside the valence area. The Bosses are all that way - for the most part...

My preferences and opinion. I do not like exhaust pipes/tips exiting below the rear valence and protruding out toward the back. That was the way we did pickups back in the 70's and it looks ok on them but not on a Mustang.

Ray

I have a 2.5 system with magnaflow mufflers and an "x" crossover, run out the back through 2 1/4 pipes over the axles.

I'd like to make a few observations and give you my opinions.

The x crossover is more "raspy" sounding than an H pipe-it may improve exhaust plow, but if the tonal quality of the sound matter and you want it to sound like a period correct muscle car, the H pipe will give you a more traditional sound.

The x pipe takes up a lot of real estate. It sits under the driveshaft yoke and if you want to move the emergency brake to the tunnel ever, it is going to be in the way. If you wish to drag race it will be in the way of a safety loop. If you wish to run cut outs it will force you to place them after the crossover.

An H pipe is somewhat more flexible in this respect, but if you position it too far back it is ineffective. I recommend you get it installed in a manner that allows you to unbolt the system from the headers and before the mufflers.

Over the axle exhausts are going to have to fit in existing space-if you intend an upgraded rear suspension or pipes larger than 2 1/2 over the axles expect to hear some interference noises unless you exit it in front of the rear wheels.

Exhaust cut outs sound best close to the headers. If you install them after a few feet of 2 1/2 pipe, the sound is really sort of muffled. If you install them as close as you can to the headers, you will get all the sound you ever wanted and then a bit more!

I expect my next system will be 3" true duals routed out through the quarter panels just in front of the rear wheels, but then again, I am building an engine with a target horsepower of over 600HP/500TQ so I am not building a truly streetable car.

Just my experiences, no science to back any of it up-if you disagree with me I'm cool with that.

I have a full custom system from Ed Hanson (San Diego Exhaust Guru), it has Hedman shorty style headers, 2.5" Piping to an X-Pipe to Magnaflow Performance Mufflers straight out the back in the factory cutout spots on the rear valance. It exits through a pair of 3" Stainless Polished Slant Cut double walled tips. Sounds great and gives great flow front to back.

Something to think about with the side exit in front of the rear tires is placement of the mufflers. There is not much room for them up close to the transmission to give the proper angle for flow. A 90 degree angle will add back pressure and not give maximum flow.

For my '71 with a 351C-2V, I chose a Pypes Street Pro system from Summit. All said and done, around $480-ish for stainless with X-pipe. It comes off Hooker Competition Long-Tube headers (close to the same price for ceramic-coated), and required very little in the way of trimming and bending to get things installed. Unfortunately, Hooker didn't include the collectors with their headers (unlike Hedman, but I didn't want to wait a month for back-order) so I had to purchase the collectors separately... and they're not stainless or ceramic coated (they're black, and readily visible).

I'm also planning on cut-outs, which will should fit perfectly just ahead of the mufflers.

526110_2195600706892_1851897386_n.jpg

269310_457333177610939_1008943514_n.jpg

396906_2263915534720_1073114411_n.jpg

It has a pretty awesome exhaust note as well, and not too loud actually. Here's the video from first fire-up:

Mister 4x4

Couple of questions on your system.

From the collector to the X pipe, the small length, did that come with the kit?

Is your shock missing on the drivers side? If so is it because of the staggard shock setup?

thx

-jbojo

The Galaxy 500 was a luxury car not a performance car. The smaller pipe smoothed the idle and helped flatten the torque curve on the carb big block. Recall ford was making the SOHC motor at the time. They knew all about exhaust pipe restrictions. P

Mister 4x4

Couple of questions on your system.

From the collector to the X pipe, the small length, did that come with the kit?

Is your shock missing on the drivers side? If so is it because of the staggard shock setup?

thx

-jbojo
Yes - the lengths were about 18" in length, and I think I wound up trimming roughly 7" or so off, and bending about 10 degrees into them to match up with the departure angles of the Hooker headers. They were also the only things I had to trim or alter in any way - it all bolted right up.

The only things I had to buy:

• Hooker Competition Headers
  • Hooker Collectors (since Hooker doesn't include them with the headers)
  • Pypes Street Pro Kit (absolutely complete and a snap to install - although it lacked instructions)
  • Pypes 2.5" Chrome Slash tips (which I haven't installed yet)

Yes - the driver side shock was missing, as I was installing brake lines when I took the picture. Good eye! It has since been reinstalled.

thx

-jbojo
Yes - the lengths were about 18" in length, and I think I wound up trimming roughly 7" or so off, and bending about 10 degrees into them to match up with the departure angles of the Hooker headers. They were also the only things I had to trim or alter in any way - it all bolted right up.

The only things I had to buy:

• Hooker Competition Headers
  • Hooker Collectors (since Hooker doesn't include them with the headers)
  • Pypes Street Pro Kit (absolutely complete and a snap to install - although it lacked instructions)
  • Pypes 2.5" Chrome Slash tips (which I haven't installed yet)

Yes - the driver side shock was missing, as I was installing brake lines when I took the picture. Good eye! It has since been reinstalled.
Is the Pypes system for staggered shocks?

I've seen and heard a Pypes system on Whisnane's car. It sounds really good. Eddie also had electronically operated cutouts installed and flipping the switch to open could be called an act of terrorism beside a Honda with a fart can at a stoplight.

Is the Pypes system for staggered shocks?

I've seen and heard a Pypes system on Whisnane's car. It sounds really good. Eddie also had electronically operated cutouts installed and flipping the switch to open could be called an act of terrorism beside a Honda with a fart can at a stoplight.
I don't know that it's for 'staggered shocks' specifically. It seems to me that the driver-side pipe might be in the way of a staggered set-up. My old-school Lakewood traction bars have the lower staggered mount, but the car itself does not have the upper mount.

My plan is for cut-outs just ahead of the mufflers... and for the very same reason. :D :D :D That, and I typically get willing participants at our local AFB car show for an inpropmtu 'crank it up' contest (which usually weeds out the posers from the hot rods). Nothing quite like hearing one hot rod after another fire up and blip the throttle a few times, all the way up and down the line. A nice exhaust system is very cool... but straight-pipes get the most attention. ;)

Back