Thinking about exhaust setups

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where should the end of the exhaust end at?

• Out the rear of the car and then angled out to the sides.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So is there an off the shelf exhaust system made for staggered shocks? I don't know of any.
I do , I do , I've sold a couple

H pipe for exhaust manifolds 2V or 4 or headers

system with turbo or custom mufflers with welded brackets like the original

Have a 2 inch system for 302's and 2 1/4 for all else

See mike goodnight's posts - he has staggard shocks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there an off the shelf exhaust system made for staggered shocks? I don't know of any.
I do , I do , I've sold a couple

H pipe for exhaust manifolds 2V or 4 or headers

system with turbo or custom mufflers with welded brackets like the original

Have a 2 inch system for 302's and 2 1/4 for all else

See mike goodnight's posts - he has staggered shocks ;)
Most excellent! Shoot me a PM with prices for the 71M, 4 speed with stock manifolds. Do I reuse my chrome tips?

M4x4 your crossover looks more like a siamese than a true X, ? i spent some time listening to mfg's sound clips and comments on flow performance as well as some tuners claims on exhaust. I have this comment; Yes a true xpipe can increase scavenging resulting in increased flow rate in some engines over an H, which would clearly provide for an increase in top end HP in some engines. But additional notes would apply. As mentioned here already the X is much more difficult to weld/install in rear drive cars for mfg's (or for owners) than an H. Also as mentioned here the X produces a BIG change in the sound of the engine, which is a visceral experience all of us consider when tuning our exhaust. Finally, the H does a very good job in smoothing the exhaust pulses in the Ford v8's and also produces an increase in performance over independent dual exhaust systems. So for all the reasons mentioned above IMO you really gotta love the raspy flowmaster sound to bother with an X. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
M4x4 your crossover looks more like a siamese than a true X, ? i spent some time listening to mfg's sound clips and comments on flow performance as well as some tuners claims on exhaust. I have this comment; Yes a true xpipe can increase scavenging resulting in increased flow rate in some engines over an H, which would clearly provide for an increase in top end HP in some engines. But additional notes would apply. As mentioned here already the X is much more difficult to weld/install in rear drive cars for mfg's (or for owners) than an H. Also as mentioned here the X produces a BIG change in the sound of the engine, which is a visceral experience all of us consider when tuning our exhaust. Finally, the H does a very good job in smoothing the exhaust pulses in the Ford v8's and also produces an increase in performance over independent dual exhaust systems. So for all the reasons mentioned above IMO you really gotta love the raspy flowmaster sound to bother with an X. thanks.
Well, crap - let me run right out and get a proper 'H-pipe' because someone on the internet says so. :rolleyes:

Look - I bought the Pypes kit because it was recommended by a friend who'd installed one on his '68 Mustang - I wanted a kit I could simply install and move onto another part of my project. Pypes calls the junction between left and right exhaust pipes an "X-pipe." Forgive me for doubting your reasoning, but I'm going to take the side of a reputable company that builds exhaust systems - if they call their product an "X-pipe," it's an "X-pipe." THAT, is all I need to know.

I also honestly had no idea how my car was going to sound when I bought the system, as the car was not running when I bought it (engine seized, among other things). When I first fired it up and heard it for the first time, I was VERY pleased and not only happy it was running, I also enjoyed the sound coming from the back of the car.

My only purpose for input in this thread is to share what I went with and what I know to be true: the Pypes Street Pro X-pipe kit is complete, easy to install, and works perfectly... it also looks great, is of good quality, and has a good exhaust note. I happened to have pictures and a brief video - so I shared. That's it. I'm not a Pypes salesman, an expert on their products, nor am I claiming it to be anything it is not. Just sharing what I have for someone else to make a somewhat informed decision for their cars.

If I'm reading things wrong, and someone gets their feelings hurt over my words, I'll apologize now - I'm already having "a day," and not looking to get into a pissing match over what is or is not best for my car based on someone else's opinion.

Mister 4x4, I don't think he was criticizing your choice, only providing some information and opinions for the OP and others to consider. If you read the post without the first sentence, it is pretty similar to my post on this matter.

I had an x type crossover and the sound was not to my liking compared to either a true dual or an H crossover. Even as much as I prefer performance over and above most things, exhaust sound is really something that if you don't like it, it can make a car unpleasant. For this reason, I'm going to forego the last few horsepower and go to an h pipe setup.

I'll be redoing my system with the assistance of a good exhaust shop I trust and I'll discuss what I want, listen to their suggestions and make my decision.

Prebuilt systems usually work well from a manufacturer like Pypes. Not a thing wrong with them. I just prefer my ice cream in a different flavor than they offer.

Mister 4x4, I don't think he was criticizing your choice, only providing some information and opinions for the OP and others to consider. If you read the post without the first sentence, it is pretty similar to my post on this matter.
Thanks for that perspective. As I said in my post, I'm having a day and I probably didn't read it 'in proper context.' To which, I've already added disclaimer & apology (on the off chance that offense is taken). Again, not trying to start [or continue] any kind of pissin' match based on strong opinions alone.

The first sentence, or not the first sentence. It really doesn't matter. This has been bouncing around since I posted my pics and explained my system. Bottom line: he likes H-pipes better than X-pipes... got it.

For the purpose of this thread remaining 'informative,' I suggest taking the "H-pipe is better..." or "X-pipe is better..." or "Straight pipe is better..." type comments with appropriate levels of salt, and do some research into each particular style of exhaust before committing one way or another.

I can get rubbed wrong by the tone and repetition of some posts from time to time. Having been around a bit, I figured you were taking it to personally and needed a fresh perspective. I hope it was helpful and that you would do the same for me.

I tend to shy away from characterizations of what is "best" when it comes to cars. We each have individual tastes and goals.

Hopefully the OP will use all of this to help make a decision that will be right for them.

I have straight pipes, and plan to add some form of connection soon... Probably will go with an H since it will be simpler and probably less expensive to have done.

I can get rubbed wrong by the tone and repetition of some posts from time to time. Having been around a bit, I figured you were taking it to personally and needed a fresh perspective. I hope it was helpful and that you would do the same for me.

I tend to shy away from characterizations of what is "best" when it comes to cars. We each have individual tastes and goals.

Hopefully the OP will use all of this to help make a decision that will be right for them.
Yes - very helpful. Thanks again! ::thumb::

Youtube.com is your friend when searching for exhaust setups. Thats how I have found what I like with a particular vehicle setup in the past. To many variables in the equation. Think of it as buying a new set of speakers. Always best to hear them before the purchase to best choose what you like.

I have an H-Pipe on my Mustang and it is what I think sounds best for my car.

But on my 2003 Supercharged Harley Davidson F150 I have an X-Pipe and it really makes the truck sound great.

But I listened to other peoples vehicles and found videos of like vehicles on youtube to help me choose the best setup for my taste.

I thought i conceded a X could have better HP than an H? And i mentioned the mfg's sites having audio clips because some might like to hear how they sound. I probably listened to different engines for 20mins just because they sound cool. Finally i mentioned a siamese design because i would expect it would have a GREATER scavenging effect than a true X. Harley Davidson uses siamese pipes on their factory exhaust because of this reason.

I thought i conceded a X could have better HP than an H? And i mentioned the mfg's sites having audio clips because some might like to hear how they sound. I probably listened to different engines for 20mins just because they sound cool. Finally i mentioned a siamese design because i would expect it would have a GREATER scavenging effect than a true X. Harley Davidson uses siamese pipes on their factory exhaust because of this reason.
I read your post the wrong way and took it [along with other comments] to mean, "H-pipes are the only way to go, X-pipes suck, and yours isn't even a real X-pipe," and found a way to take it personally - because my day at work started out badly. I've been offered other perspectives and more time to re-read the words and can honestly say, "It was all about me being over-sensitive and taking it the wrong way (probably needed a Snickers) and I'm over it."

Once again, My Apologies for any misgivings you might've seen when you logged in and read my first reply of the day.

Hey man, i dont usually reread my posts before i hit send, thats why i have to go back and edit a lot. I probably came off a bit abrupt and didnt mean to imply anyone's choice is a wrong choice. Just threw out an opinion off handed like. No probs here. Hope yer day got better. Mine just did, with some ice. Ha!

Hey man, i dont usually reread my posts before i hit send, thats why i have to go back and edit a lot. I probably came off a bit abrupt and didnt mean to imply anyone's choice is a wrong choice. Just threw out an opinion off handed like. No probs here. Hope yer day got better. Mine just did, with some ice. Ha!
Thanks for that - I really appreciate the clarification. I know the written word is only a fair substitute for actually talking to people, and I try not to take things too personally. This morning was just kinda bizarre with too many things tossed at me all at once, and I let it get the best of me. No worries.

{insert group hug smiley here} Hey wait... Cough! Cough! How 'bout them Bears? rofl

Back