This is the Old Cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to share this beauty with you all. It is a 1972 Galaxie 500 with a 400-2V in her. She was a beast, but my wife still married me in that thing. Actually, she had a real nice car and we told the wedding patrons that no one could touch her car. I, OTH, told them to do what you want to my car, just make sure I can drive it!

Interesting tid bit about the engine: It ran great until one day driving down the road it just died. I checked everything, but could not get it restarted. It would crank all day long, but no juice to the plugs. Pulled the distributor to find that the pin at the gear was sheared. Replaced pin and drove it for about another month and same thing happened.

At this I did a little research and found that this was a common problem on these old Ford engines. The valve seals were a palstic type that would become brittle with age. Seems that the plastic would find its way into the oil pump and lock the gears. Pulled the engine, refreshed it and never had trouble with this car. Looked like crap, but ran well. Sold it to purchase a 1968 GTO (in need of restoration).

I should add that all that crap stained the paint!!!
I had a red 71 galaxie that sheared the distributor gear pin too

As I have mentioned I was a Corvette fan early on and had a red '64 327/365 coupe and a black 68 327/350 coupe. Sold them in 1994 and 1996 and never took a single picture. I do have one of my brother's 67 GT500 with a 427 medium riser. It was a beast. This was soon after he bought it in 1975. He gave $4500 for the car.:(

So the lies i've been tellin......

my65artbythaMouse.jpg

th65front.jpg

6-17-2007-184.jpg

INterior beginning....

interiorbefore.jpg

Interior complete ...or pretty close.

6-17-2007-179.jpg

Well..... she's been gone for 8 years. That is the one I sold to get the 67 convertible. She turned out very nice and I looked for SIX DANG YEARS for all the correct 65 parts... a PAIN in the azz. but she was fun to drive. I kept the power glide and it would tune up the HOT MUSTANG GT of the day without a problem. one guy swore I was running a 454... nope 350 small block with some enthusiastic parts.:D

I'm draggin this up again because of the other thread going on and it has relevance to the cool stuff folks shared in this one.

For me this car was a great car although a HUGE PAIN..... this car was a hull as I hope one photo exhibits and became a car again.

Old thread, but this was my first car, a 1972 Hillman Avenger. I think it was called the Chrysler Cricket in the States. Top speed 70mph and handled like a wheel barrow.

Jewel_zpstr0vxnfm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually remember the Hillman. Seems some weird dude mechanic had one and he would tell me about them and the origin. Back then we had little understanding and only made aware by efforts of 007 movies :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back