thoughts on msd 8350 distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
Looking at ditching my unilite for an msd. More available parts and vacuum advance better on the street. Has anyone used this and reviews thanks

Looking at ditching my unilite for an msd. More available parts and vacuum advance better on the street. Has anyone used this and reviews thanks
They work fine but it may be overkill for your app. Pertronix are less money and also work fine and the stock distributors can be set up with a Pertronix pickup and their curve can be adjusted and they work fine.

Irregardless of which one you use, you should curve the timing so it is optimal for your particular app which I and some others can explain how to do.

One thing I try to avoid is connecting an auto choke hot wire to a coil wire . I have had some cause ignition probs . You can connect them to the back of the alt and make sure the choke still opens fast enough because the aftermarket chokes are 12 v and the alt post is 9 v.

The vacuum advance does not operate under medium to hard acceleration, therefore, it is not a power enhancer . Its primary function is to add timing at steady throttle to increase mileage.

When the timing curve is set to the optimum level, you should not run much advance with the vacuum can, especially f you have fairly high compression . I typically set them to add 5 - 6 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between all the pertronix. 1 2 3.

I installed the P III. Very happy. I read several reviews that it is more reliable than the I and II. I still keep my points and old coil in a box in the trunk just in case.

The I is a pickup only . The II adds dwell which increases the voltage but it is best to use this one and the III with a high voltage coil.

The III increases dwell and has multi spark which is beneficial in engines that have big cams.

Al the pertronix distributors have bearings instead of bushings.

Make sure the distributor gear material is compatible with your cam.

The I is a pickup only . The II adds dwell which increases the voltage but it is best to use this one and the III with a high voltage coil.

The III increases dwell and has multi spark which is beneficial in engines that have big cams.

Al the pertronix distributors have bearings instead of bushings.

Make sure the distributor gear material is compatible with your cam.
What he said. I am running a stock cam right now but when the time comes for a rebuild I will be putting in a more aggressive cam so it was also planning ahead. Good call.

What determines the material for gear. My cam is hydraulic flat tappet cam. Also does the pertronix work with the stock tachometer

Has anyone fit one of these under a ram air setup?

I do have a carb spacer om my car. Would have to mess with an original ram air cleaner

Decided to go with a stock dizzy and a pertronix ignitor 3 conversion kit. Thanks all

Good call, I would fine tune it to your combo with lighter advance springs and limiting maximum advance to say 36-38 degrees but as you know every combo is different.

Back