Tilt Steering Wheel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfeverrr

Reaction score
My Car
'71 351C coupe
So, I just got my Marti report (and invoice), and lo and behold, it lists a tilt steering wheel in the options list (FYI, I have a '71 Grande).

I had no idea the car had this option, and not ever having had one on any previous classic Mustang, I have no idea what to look for. I see no levers, buttons, etc., any where. Am I missing something, or should it's workings be pretty obvious and maybe my original column had just been traded out somewhere along the way for a standard column?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D

So, I just got my Marti report (and invoice), and lo and behold, it lists a tilt steering wheel in the options list (FYI, I have a '71 Grandé).

I had no idea the car had this option, and not ever having had one on any previous classic Mustang, I have no idea what to look for. I see no levers, buttons, etc., any where. Am I missing something, or should it's workings be pretty obvious and maybe my original column had just been traded out somewhere along the way for a standard column?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D
It's a pain, but you either need to push or pull the turn signal towards you or towards the dash while moving the steering wheel.

I did mine 4 years ago and since it's a PITA haven't adjusted it since.

I

I have four cars with tilt and no issues with them. Yes the turn signal lever is what releases it to tilt. If it is not working right you can get about any part off eBay might cost you. I just got a NOS Ford turn signal  switch this week which has the tilt mech. for $60.00  nobody bid on it but me.

There are a couple pins that might get loose and cause issues but WCCC sells .001" oversize that fixes that. Tilt is one of the best options especially if you are tall like me 6'5".

The best way to keep it working good is not to slam it up and down and rack the gears inside. Be gentle with it like a pretty lady and it will last for years.

The 71 & 72 tilt are the same the 73 has different wiring for the turn signals is the only difference.

OK, thanks guys. I thought maybe that was it, but nothing happened when I moved the turn signal stalk, no matter how much I pushed up or down on the steering wheel/column, so I got to wondering if I was going it right. Since the stalk does move toward the dash, I assume that's the correct set-up, it just doesn't release the way it should. Not sure if it's worth fixing, especially since I didn't even know I had it until the Marti report arrived! :whistling:

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the area where the column joins the steering box . Post a pic of the rag joint. That will let us now what type of column is in the car

If your car currently has a tilt column that's just not working, it could be because of broken pieces inside.  Mine was stuck in one position when I got it, and when I finally got to taking it out and working on it, the broken pieces just fell out.  I found another on ebay, and it worked for about 10-15 tries on the tilt, but it locked into one position as well - it was broken and likely super glued back together for the sale (that's the sucky part about ebay - no test drives).

Fortunately, the broken pieces were different between the two columns, and I was able to make a good one out of both broken columns.  I'm still not fond of the mechanism (seems like a poor design to me), so I'll be swapping to a Flaming River or Ididit column (with push-button start. maybe) one of these days when I get some of my other projects taken care of.

Here's some pics that might be helpful.

An exploded view of the tilt column:

tilt steering.jpg

Lower flanges from both columns - the original (had a broken locking lever) on the bottom, and the 'new' ebay column with the broken piece of the lower flange on top.

tilt2.jpg

I suspected from day one that my 73 had the steering column changed out at some point in the past. After recently coming in to possession of the original Ford invoice for the car I see it has a tilt wheel listed, but it's no longer there, confirming my suspicion of a column change. I sure wish it still had the tilt column in it.

Another good way to see if you have a tilt column is to look at the area where your turn signal lever is in the 3D505 collar or flange. To the front of the lever there should be a heavy wire called the "Wire Bale" that is depressed when the lever is pressed toward the instrument panel. That releases the  locking mechanism so the wheel can be adjusted. The shop techs generally disliked working on this version tilt wheel because of so many moving parts and how easily they could break if abused.

As David posted, the key to a trouble free life with one of these is to hold the wheel as you adjust the tilt and to not let it slam. And like he said be gentle with it like a pretty lady and she will be good to you!  :D

tilt (2)_LI.jpg

Just got my Marti Report and was surprised to find that I have tilt steering wheel,too.  So I had to  do research to find this post to figure out how it works.

Push blinker handle forward and it works great.  That will make it easier to get in and out now.  It was worth the cost of the Marti report to find out that I have Tilt Steering.

Love this forum.

Wayne

Back