Time to (UPDATED 3/1/2014) contribute some pics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great story. You certainly have a lot of talent. I would like to Come by sometime to see it and meet you in person.

Thanks Q, It was the first time I sprayed rust bullet. I metal blasted as per instructions It said to leave it on for 2-20 min and wipe off. When I went to wipe it it was smeary and wiped hard. I should have resprayed and wiped it off right after. In a couple of placed I have some solvent pop type bubbles and I believe its because of this residue from the metal blast. It may also be because I was letting my 16 year old (#3) son spray on some areas for the first time and he may have loaded up a couple spots. No huge crisis I will simply re-sand those spots and touch it up after I place it on the car and weld it in. All my welding points are at factory joints and positions so I was expecting to have to sand and touch up. I wanted to at least hit it with the rust bullet while it was out and I could get to everything easier.

Black shell on the majority but Ran out. 1 quart didn't go as far as I was expecting. I have to touch up a few spots so after I weld it in I will re spray some of those spots. I didn't get all of the inside of the engine compartment blackshelled so I have decided I think I will paint the engine compartment the color of the exterior, when the time comes. I was debating, going back and forth with black or color so the decision was made for me when I ran out on the drivers side inside shock tower and aprons.

inbwbo.jpg

24g0nc6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress report On the Mustang and My Son Ethan

1q5us6.jpg

The clip install crew. Ethan, on the right, has been dealing with a brain tumor removal, chemo and radiation. This last Wednesday Sept 26th he had another MRI at the Cleveland Clinic and it was a Great report. No more tumor visible and everything looks great.No more treatments required. He will Begin looking for a Job in mechanical engineering technology(his field of study). Thanks to all you guys who have been praying for Ethan and his wife Mallory. The Lord be given all Glory and Honor. He truly is an Awesome God. My #2 Son Ben (on the Left) just became engaged to Mallory's Sister Jenna. Wedding planned for next June. He now attends Cincinnati Christian University with Jenna. He is on their basketball team as a red shirt freshman and Jenna is the team manager. The little girl in the middle is my daughter Meleah age 12 and My #3 son Jonah (age 16) is second from the right. Im second from the left

Below are Pics of the new clip set in place

2yo69ld.jpg

mr4ke0.jpg

hv4apz.jpg

w7bxbl.jpg

o5nmz9.jpg

wqwvn8.jpg

23t2q2s.jpg

14wrfia.jpg

339umhy.jpg

Quick pre fit of sheet metal to check gaps before welding

2cicocj.jpg

347wayg.jpg

xruhi.jpg

I have a video clip of us actually putting clip in place and will try to upload that as well. I suppose its best to do a you tube clip and post the link.

I have already started to weld at the factory joints/ attachment points

more to come in a couple weeks

Great news regarding all of the family. Looks like a great crew you have there to work on the car. You should get everyone similiar shirts like your earlier photo. Great work on the car. That is alot to tackle and it looks like you did it right. I am sure it is comforting to see a complete body in front of your eyes.

Geting ready to section rear frame rail. I got word today that the Frame Jig Table needs to be returned. I am borrowing this from my brother who was storing it for a friend. This person who owns it said I can use it and add to it just do not remove any steel uprights or cross members.Well they want it back to to build another race car frame. That is why the table was created in the first place. On the bright side It has lit a fire under my butt, but this is the worst time of year because of My Sons/Daughters Basketball schedule. Another plus is My brother owns a auto rotisserie that he is not using that he will let me use as long as I don't take 2 years using it.

Here where I need some advice, any advice is welcome even if you are thinking out loud, I like it all.

By the end of the month I have to have this off of the Frame/Jig table. I need to section the rear frame rails with some section pieces.

I have the rear rails Jig set up to prepare for cutting and sectioning as you can see in the Pics

245expd.jpg

fjj28y.jpg

I have the front clip welded in so thats all set. I recently purchased some sub frame connectors and wanted to weld them In before I put in my floor pan sections. I've had the floor pans for quite some time. otherwise I would have purchased them from Don at OMS.

Now Im in a time crunch and Im concerned about what is going to be critical before I remove it from the Jig and install it on the Rotisserie.

I have done a lot of body/frame/paint work in my past. BUT I HAVE NEVER USED A ROTISSERIE. So thats why I need some advice. If you have used one and can offer advice I would appreciate it.

On the Jig everything is so well supported and strait, Unibody have a tendency to flex some so thats one of the reasons why I put it on the Jig . The other is when I have my upright vertical steel supports in place and I cut out something, everything goes back in right where it needs to be.

This is my list of components to install are as follows while on the Jig.

#1 Sub frame connectors (made by Tinman Fabriations)

#2 Rear frame rail sections (about the end 18" or so both side

#3 Floor pans (right and left already on hand previously purchased)

#4 Trunk Floor

#5 Rear tail light Panel (previously purchased)

#6 outer wheel wells (previously purchased)

#7 Quarter panel re-pops

Im not sure if I can get that all done before I have to take it off the jig/table, who am I kidding, I know I cant get that all done before I need to take it off the Jig/table. I suppose I can work off the floor If I don't get all the components installed on the Jig. The biggest reason for the Jig was the front clip which is done so I guess thats a good thing. I have concerns about body flex on the rotisserie, but like I said I have no experience with a rotisserie so Im not sure on what to expect.

The big three is the rear frame rail sections, sub frame connectors, and rear tail light panel. At that time I think it could be put on the rotisserie but the floor pans would be out as well as the trunk floor. I really concerned about installing the Quarter panel re pop sections on the rotisserie because of flex. Sorry for the Ramble my head is kind of spinning because of the rush schedule/lack of time thing......

On a personal note If you all were wondering, My oldest Son Ethan is doing very well after his brain tumor issues. He had another MRI a couple weeks ago at the Cleveland Clinic and all is clear and looking good. He is working as a Mechanical Engineering Tech and is doing great, Thanks to all who may have been praying for him. The Lord has been faithful in taking care of him.

As a matter of fact I wished I would have had him swing by and visit Don at OMS and pick up the trunk floor, quarter panel re-pops and frame rail sections when he went for his last MRI in Cleveland. I think I may send my #3 son over in a week or so to pick them up (saves truck freight).

Thanks for any advice

I believe you would want to install the trunk floor while the tail light panel is removed for easy access. I think I would concentrate on the frame rails and sub frame connectors wile you have the jig. Any thoughts of making your own jig out off wood?

I believe you would want to install the trunk floor while the tail light panel is removed for easy access. I think I would concentrate on the frame rails and sub frame connectors wile you have the jig. Any thoughts of making your own jig out off wood?
Im hoping to go right to the rotisserie. So Im thinking right now, Frame rail sections frame connectors and I agree trunkfloor/ Tailight panel. Tail light panel would be needed before the rotisserie I believe because of the way the car bolts up to the rottiserie, but like I stated earlier I have no experience with a rotisserie. I could do the trunk floor /tailight panel on the floor along with the floor pan.

As far as a wood Jig, My Oldest brother who owns the body shop has a 1972 "q" code Mach 1 that needs the same as mine. The plan was to take mine off the Jig with one of his lifts and put his right on. He wants to build one out of steel so If I were going to put together another Jig it would be steel and we would split the cost.

As far as the floor pan goes I can do that off the Jig as well.

Thanks for the reply, Its my own fault I took too much time in the Jig stage so the next month will be rough.

Go Time,

Best wishes to Ethan and your family members. Wow, it is amazing what the forum members can do to these mustangs. Look forward to more pictures on the Team's progress.

mustang7173 :D

I believe the floorpan would be much easier on the rotisserie.

Good news about Ethan and glad to see you here again
Do you think I should worry about any additional flex with floor pans removed but center hump In tack and frame connectors installed ? If I have no worries on flex then your right ,rotisserie would make the floor pan so much easier, Thanks for the reply. Now Im back to work :)

Dennis

Here is an update on my project. Its been a busy past couple of months trying to get the car off the rack. Between the weather ( i burn wood and have had to cut extra wood because of the cold sub zero temps in Indiana) and my kids Sports schedules I have had to really push the schedule to work on the mustang.

Here are some pics

6tebsz.jpg

Rust rear frame condition

2v0lnid.jpg

Rusty frame rail pre removal

2ajaknc.jpg

More rust... Yea

16hklt0.jpg

Fabricate panels

2vdjudt.jpg

Rail before section

1yr1w7.jpg

new rail sectioned in

161ccwg.jpg

more rail work, both side needed same work

f1ikw1.jpg

Ready to sandblast rear rail area while open before trunk floor goes in

2yxm0ib.jpg

Prep to sandblast interior area around wheel wells area before rust bullet

2912h6v.jpg

Rear area under back seat between wheel well and torque box needed new metal both sides rust bullet inside before closing it up

534b3r.jpg

Driver side repeat

fbvnnp.jpg

torque boxes both sides need to be repaired/patched and rust bullet inside before top panel welded in.

29e3z2v.jpg

205ebu9.jpg

rear quarter extension backing panel needed to be cut out and repaired (both sides)

2q3dqh1.jpg

13z0ql2.jpg

Tin Man Frame sub frame connectors installed

2cgho9g.jpg

One of several pre fits before any welding on trunk floor, wheel wells and tail light panel took place, new bumper even pre fit. It all is fitting up very well. Some re fabrication was needed on the quarter panel skins they have NOT been welded in yet. The frame jig/table really served me well.

ofpow4.jpg

Here is the frame jig/table getting ready to be returned, all the uprights /supports have been removed. Thanks old table you really helped me out

e63jh2.jpg

Front frame to Rotisserie bracket fabricated

2d2dhmc.jpg

rear frame rail to rotisserie bracket fabricated

syxh5i.jpg

That will make working on the underside a bit easier

1ptd9y.jpg

Im going to really like this rotisserie

Back