Tim's 1973 Mach 1 rebuild thread - it's done in 2023 on it's 50th birthday!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning paint! That’s going to look good when it’s done. Ryan

Hey guys, 

every year again... Oh, wait, it's been two years since then...  :whistling:

Sorry guys, I had to wait on the paint guy that long... Diseases and illness of him and many other not Mustang-related things took their time until everything fitted together like a guy and his Mustang! There were times I did not think I will be able to see a result in years! And there were times I weren't be able to hear the word "Mustang"! 

But: I am back! 

Tadaaaa! It's cold, ähem, gold outside, everywhere, just in time for christmas!  :dancebanana:

My hard work on the panels has paid off! I am very satisfied as was the paint guy! Here are the results, the hood will follow soon... Now there will be more regular updates coming, reassembly is one great thing  :wrench:

First was blocking, blocking, blocking... And more blocking! 

First gold color applied  :biggrin:  

It seemed to have the right shade  :thumb:

Then there were more  :heart:

Period correct transportation vehicle  :biggrin:

And now *paradiddle drums* 

I am happy and proud of  :wrench:

The final result is fantastic! 

Xmas could come now  :dancebanana:

More coming soon! 

Hope all of you and your families are well - take care in these times! 
Looking really good.   That color combo will really compliment each other1      I did a 73 for a friend  a few years ago  in that color with ginger interior and always liked that 

Looking really good.   That color combo will really compliment each other1      I did a 73 for a friend  a few years ago  in that color with ginger interior and always liked that 
Thank you very much for your words! 

Yeah, you are right - this color-combo I wouldn't have to miss anymore! Initially I was looking for the "classic" '71 combo, exterior red and interior black. But as I looked for a good car I realized there aren't many good ones on the market, besides the color... That was 8-9 years before. Today it isn't better... So I bought this former beauty in its fifth color change and since I realized what was the original color combo I felt in love with that. I am amazed how it turns out now - it really pops in its different light shades. You really never know until it rolls out the painters cabin... I am happy now  :wrench:

First, a Happy New Year to everyone  :beer:

Second, here are pics from the painted front bumper. The bumper I found with the help of Mike Luxstang in Luxembourg combined in an amazing road trip 5 years ago... 

img-20201223-wa00016jklg.jpg

img-20201223-wa00022dkwh.jpg

And now he is on the hood  :biggrin:

img-20201229-wa0000rkj55.jpg

and I am waiting on more progress! 

To be continued...  :thumb:

Here is a little update for you, folks - the hood is painted body color now - next week I will apply the template for the TuTone-Blackout and then there will be an end in sight  :biggrin:  

I measured a few original hoods of old threads about TuTone-Blackout so I think I am safe with the original appearance of it. For me that is one of the most important things of the car and I do not want to mess it up by anyone. So I do it by myself and then my paint guy could go on  :thumb:  

img-20210126-wa000010ojsz.jpg

In parallel I found a little treasure - original '73 Ford T5 front turn signal lamps with orange lenses in very good condition, laying 35 years on the shelf :thumb:

s-l160039rjad.jpg

Wow, the end result is fantastic.  I love the color.  I thought my car had a lot of layers of paint, you deserve some sort of award for sanding through 93 layers.  Great work!

Wow, the end result is fantastic.  I love the color.  I thought my car had a lot of layers of paint, you deserve some sort of award for sanding through 93 layers.  Great work!
Thank you very much for your kind words, very appreciated  :beer:  

Yeah, I am happy I struggled through it and fought all layers up to the original ones  :wrench:

It is not easy for a self-critical perfectionist as I am... But my paint guy meant I was better than most of his colleagues in prep work  :thumb:  But ok, I took my time... 

Small update: 

Laid down the template from Graphic Express for the TuTone Hood Blackout! 

Had some help from a friend and a professionel graphic designer buddy  :thumb:  

We didn't had to cut it but measure carefully and laid it down with an original hood lip attached! 

Took some measurements of some original cars of our forum here before (David's, 7173Vert's etc.). 

With the original template uncut the width is a little bit narrower than David's and 7173Vert's, but only a little bit. As they are very inconsistent from the factory it will look right. The space to the hood lip I took from David's and I think that's spot on! 

Compared to some I think it will look really good and as original applied.  It is not 100% as I wanted, more 95,4 % or so, but with 2 people in help I achieved a lot doing this the first time. And I learned one lesson in my life: 95 % is most of the time enough. Chances are big by trying to achieve the other 5 % to a full hundred you will mess up the whole thing. So I did the right thing and ended up quite satisfied  :thumb:   

img_20210202_194548ttk3z.jpg

img_20210202_194917s9jzs.jpg

Back