tire choices under $100?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Ok I have scrapped the idea of looking for used tires and\or used wheels. I have stock 15" rims with the pie pan hubcaps and rings. I am looking for the following in a rear tire:

-Widest I can go with an 8" rim and NOT have it stick outside the fender well? I have been looking at 245/60/15's but choices, availability and prices have been the issue.

-Raised solid white letters

-no high speed ratings

-Tire mileage can be low since they will only be on a year and driven only on weekends.

-Priced below $100

-Where to buy?

-brand? I like the Coopers and Uniroyal's because the letters look cool!::thumb::

Discount Tire has Cooper Cobras priced close to what you're looking for.

245/60R15s are $111, while 235/60R15s are $80. That's probably your best bet to get some new, 'muscle car lookin', raised white letter' tires on your car for cheap.

Might want to check out local tire shops and/or Sam's Club/Wal-Mart for availability and better deals.

scgamecock, you can call me crazy 'cause I've certainly been called worse. But try calling your Ford dealer. I know most people would just as soon get the plague as to go to the dealer once their car is out of warranty. And I'll admit that that is a reputation a lot of them have worked hard to deserve. There are 5 Ford dealers close to you. Dickerson in York (803-684-4225), Earl Tindal in Gastonia (888-369-4675), Keith Hawthorne in Belmont (866-876-5287), Fort Mill (888-251-0402), Clinton Family in Rock Hill (888-420-6033). Since you said you like Uniroyal tires I found a P245-60-15 Tiger Paw GTS that shows a retail price around 101.95. There are several tire distributors on the Ford tire program that offer same day shipping if the tire is not a dealer stocked tire. The Ford part number for that tire is 9OO4-59562. Ford offers a price match guarantee but I believe that's on shop installed tires. Wouldn't hurt to call and at least it's another option. :)

scgamecock, you can call me crazy 'cause I've certainly been called worse. But try calling your Ford dealer. I know most people would just as soon get the plague as to go to the dealer once their car is out of warranty. And I'll admit that that is a reputation a lot of them have worked hard to deserve. There are 5 Ford dealers close to you. Dickerson in York (803-684-4225), Earl Tindal in Gastonia (888-369-4675), Keith Hawthorne in Belmont (866-876-5287), Fort Mill (888-251-0402), Clinton Family in Rock Hill (888-420-6033). Since you said you like Uniroyal tires I found a P245-60-15 Tiger Paw GTS that shows a retail price around 101.95. There are several tire distributors on the Ford tire program that offer same day shipping if the tire is not a dealer stocked tire. The Ford part number for that tire is 9OO4-59562. Ford offers a price match guarantee but I believe that's on shop installed tires. Wouldn't hurt to call and at least it's another option. :)
Your not crazy! I just replaced the tires on my wife's 2013 convertible. We took the car in for a new latch on the top under warranty. I could not believe they beat Discount tire by $60 dollars per tire for Michelin's

I put Cooper Cobra GTs on my car from Town fair Tire and they were a little bit more then 100 bucks each. image2.jpeg of course then they charge you for balancing and disposal fee and of course here in Taxachusetts they hit you with a sales tax and you can throw another hundred dollar bill on the stack. To think the American Revolution started here because of ........Sales tax!

Last edited by a moderator:
These days your lucky to get a tire for your wheel barrow for under $100!! Tires prices have been skyrocketing like crazy. And finding anything good in 15" is getting even harder. I am also running Cooper Cobra GT's. My buddy owns a tire shop and he is a Cooper dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! Really good information and I will check out the Ford dealers today. I am only buying 2 for the rear right now so I will be a little out of place for a month or so. There are some dash parts I need that are pretty pricey an I can get by with 2 of the tires I have on the front now. Not a great plan but financially doable! :)

Is a 245\60\15 the widest I can go on the back with these stock rims and it not stick out past the fender lip?

What size would you recommend for the front? A little smaller or go with same size all the way around???

Thanks!

Wade

I put the same size all around but back in the day I remember putting 60s in the rear and 70s in the front on my 65 GTO and my 65 Mustang. I don't know why but it was the thing to do back then. I also remember jacking up the rear suspension to give it what we called a California rake and made it look like we were going down hill all the time.

There are a few guys here running 275s on 15x8s. Totalled is one of them - looks awesome, too. Although, the price of 275s will bust your budget like a big-dog (I think the Cooper Cobras are pushing past $150 a pop getting up to that size).

I'm running 295s [on 15x10s], and there is plenty of room for them... but you need to make sure you get the backspacing on the rims correct. Backspacing is key when you start closing the gaps on these things.

I found cheaper prices at Summit on Coopers then any tire dealer in my area. Town fair matched and even exceeded the Summit price and they claim they will match or exceed any price you find even on the net. That's how I got such a low price.

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing the backspacing on the wheels. You can measure the clearance you have and use the differences in your existing tire width and the width in the tire you want to buy to estimate the decrease in clearance as you go wider.

These are just the stock Steele rims with hub caps and beauty rings that were originally on the car. I would think that whatever the OEM backspacing is then that would be it. I know when I actually go to buy new rims in the future I will have to be very specific on the backspacing. For now I just have to go with what would be stock.

mrmach1- You forgot to mention that the useless back window became even more useless unless you were just star gazing! :)

Once I get the tires on, leveling the car with only a slight forward rake will be my next post...

Amazing advice guys. I found that my discount tire has 235/60 R15's for $80 too. Great price. That's literally $52 PER TIRE cheaper than the BF Goodrich. The ratings seem comparable. Does anyone have any experience how these tires do on wet roads?

I heard they kinda suck in wet weather... but then again, I don't plan on driving mine in wet weather. ;) :whistling:

Why would 245's be significantly more expensive than 235's and also more expensive than 275's. Is this a matter of supply and demand with less demand for 245's????

Will the 275's fit my OEM steele wheels and stay inside the fender wells? If so I would prefer going with 2 of those for the back and 2 of the 235's for the front.

Discount Tire 235/60/15 ==$80

Discount Tire 245/60/15 ==$111

Discount Tire 275/60/15 ==$95

Back