Tires-what could go wrong...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Gold Glow Mustang Convertible, 302 2V C4
I have a perfectly good-looking set of 15" BFG white letter Radial T/As, dating from June of 1999, and they are M&S rated. a) let the beatings begin, b) what do you recommend to replace them, and c) to what museum should I donate them?

I got the cooper cobras from tire rack with my rims….best price, worked great..call them if you need a size not on website the will special order….tires are great…2000 miles so, still great…

i just replaced all four tires with the same that it came with. BF T/A like u have. no issues now.. but i beat u.. mine were 25 yrs old.
Right on all counts. With a red face, I have to admit my mistake. I read the wrong tire numbers. Mine are in fact from summer of 2020, a mere three years old. I got suspicious because the tires look way too good for 23 years old, so I went back and looked again. I do think I like the BFG's best anyway.

Now that tire age is moot, I have a story:
Nine years ago, when I got my 73, it came with good looking tires, so I left them because there were other things to fix. In a few months, the car was reliable enough to drive across town to a friends restaurant for lunch. Upon leaving the restaurant, I noticed the rear passenger tire was flat. Burst at the sidewall. I got into the trunk and pulled out the donut, and put it on. Although when I squeezed it, it felt fine but it was flat due to a rotted valve stem. The tire was HARD!
Remembering that I had roadside assistance and free towing, I called for a tow to get to the tire shop, only a mile and a half away.
When the tire shop associate came out, I pointed to my flat Road Hugger Radial GTs, and said "I want to replace these with the same tire".
He said "I can't do that". It seems they didn't make them any more. My tires were 18 years old!
I've been running on Cooper Cobras since.

I just replaced my tires also. When I went to the shop and they checked, I had tires from 25 to over 30 years old, and they still looked great. I was driving it on the freeway, too. I don't even want to think about blowing a tire at 65 or 70 mph in that car. I felt so much better having new tires on there, and it rides better, too.

Replaced my old tires with the Cooper cobra's, great tire. Bought from discount tire(owned by tirerack). I found the cheapest price on Wal-Mart website and submitted it to discount tire as they price match.
From their email:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to work with you through our Found it Lower service.

Based on the link you’ve shared, and the lower pricing you found (pictured below)

We would be more than happy to also offer you the COOPER COBRA RADIAL GT P 225 /70 R14 98T -27431 at $127.23 each* to earn your business.

A couple of years ago, my daughter was driving my wife's Chevelle, and had a tire go down, not completely flat but enough to notice the driving since it was on the front. . Limped it to her uncle's house a couple of blocks away, and found the sidewall separated and leaking. Looking at the dates, the tires were like 13 years old. Tread looked fine, but sidewalls were all looking rough, so we replaced all 4. Glad it didn't take out a fender, or leave her stranded. They say over 10 years old, tire should be replaced, they just don't seem to last as long anymore. And not worth the gamble!

Back