TMI Sport upholstery question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I have a couple of questions for those of you familiar with TMG sport upholstery. So far I have only completed one seat. I couldn't get rid of all the wrinkles, but the original seat had wrinkles as well so I am not feeling that bad.

-The bolster that is at shoulder height kind of sticks out a lot. The tip of the bolster hits right near my shoulder and feels uncomfortable. Has anyone notice or done something about it? It feels that it should be wider so I can fit in better. I am small, so I can't imagine someone with a large back fitting in there.

-The cover on the rear of the seat leaves a gap that I would guess is normal, but just want to double check.

Seat shoulder/arm bolster:

This picture also serves as a comparison between the two upholsteries. The passenger's is the original and the driver's is the TMI.

Seat back cover:

I can't see your pictures here at work, but I'm guessing they probably look about the same as mine.  Did you use plastic bags or silicone spray on the foam/between the foam and seat cover when you were slipping it on?  I didn't use anything on the seat backs, and wound up with the wrinkles (which the three slashes on each side at the top bolster areas are still there - somewhat... the 'little ones' have since worked themselves out... I think they look kinda cool, even though I know they're rookie mistakes - but they don't bug me, so I'm not worried about 'em).

attachment.php

I'll check out your pics when I get home in a few hours.

I can't see your pictures here at work, but I'm guessing they probably look about the same as mine.  Did you use plastic bags or silicone spray on the foam/between the foam and seat cover when you were slipping it on?  I didn't use anything on the seat backs, and wound up with the wrinkles (which the three slashes on each side at the top bolster areas are still there - somewhat... the 'little ones' have since worked themselves out... I think they look kinda cool, even though I know they're rookie mistakes - but they don't bug me, so I'm not worried about 'em).

I used the plastic bags around the bolster. I have much fewer weinkles than what your picture shows. My issue is with the design of the bolster at the shoulder area. It sticks out too much and bothers my shoulder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I used the plastic bags around the bolster. I have much fewer weinkles than what your picture shows. My issue is with the design of the bolster at the shoulder area. It sticks out too much and bothers my shoulder.

Oops... i see a difference. Are yours the Sports? Yours doesn't have the shoulde bolster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - mine are the Sports.  I think yours might be the Sport R seats (just a guess... still can't see 'em  ;) ).

Mine have those same shoulder bolsters.  I don't think I have as many wrinkles in that area, but there might be a few.  My back panels snapped on perfect, but mine are a bit different being a 73.

Mine have those same shoulder bolsters.  I don't think I have as many wrinkles in that area, but there might be a few.  My back panels snapped on perfect, but mine are a bit different being a 73.

Do the shoulder bolsters feel comfortable to you?

I really like the way the seats fit.  I like that you don't move around as much in them.  I am 5'-10" and around 205.  Pretty wide shoulders and the seats feel good to me, but everyone is different.

I really like the way the seats fit.  I like that you don't move around as much in them.  I am 5'-10" and around 205.  Pretty wide shoulders and the seats feel good to me, but everyone is different.
Good to know. I am starting to get used to them. Maybe being smaller the bolsters constrict my shoulders more. In your case tou are probably on the bolsters while i am between them.

That might be the case.  I will sit in them tonight and see where my shoulders hit on them.

When you installed the foam, did you hog ringed it to the frame?

I first did the driver's seat. For that seat I hog ringed the foam to the frame, and then the upholstery to the foam/frame. I just did the passenger's seat and I did not hog ringed it to the foam, just the upholstery to the foam and frame. The foam stays in place when the upholstery is attached to the frame The passenger seat looks and feels much better.

I first did the driver's seat. For that seat I hog ringed the foam to the frame, and then the upholstery to the foam/frame. I just did the passenger's seat and I did not hog ringed it to the foam, just the upholstery to the foam and frame. The foam stays in place when the upholstery is attached to the frame The passenger seat looks and feels much better.
I just hog ringed the upholstery just like your description of your passenger seat.

I just hog ringed the upholstery just like your description of your passenger seat.
Thanks. I was following instructions from CJPonny where they talked about attaching the foam first. It bites because that method took a lot of effort and the end product was not good. The passenger seat took me a few hours compared to days for the driver's side. I think I will have to partially undo the driver's seat back to cut the rings that attach the foam to the frame.

Back