TMI upholstery colors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
I have an issue. I special ordered (no returns) upholstery set from TMI black with blue stripe and stitching. I was told the the blues were not the same but not to far off either. I have a dark blue and black theme I have for everything. The blue seat strip doesn’t match anything else. The dark blue sticking is perfect. Anyone have any luck with a good dye to use match this? I’m waiting to hear back from TMI if they do as well. Thanks

Attachments

• 70266641736__F04AA496-AE15-441B-97D5-F68A0F114B3B.jpeg
    70266641736__F04AA496-AE15-441B-97D5-F68A0F114B3B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
They told you that the thread and the insert colors were not too far off? Wow.
The website looks good. A little expensive is okay it makes a huge visual difference and you don’t end up looking at something your unhappy with each time you get in.

I have an issue. I special ordered (no returns) upholstery set from TMI black with blue stripe and stitching. I was told the the blues were not the same but not to far off either. I have a dark blue and black theme I have for everything. The blue seat strip doesn’t match anything else. The dark blue sticking is perfect. Anyone have any luck with a good dye to use match this? I’m waiting to hear back from TMI if they do as well. Thanks

Yes, I would simply dye your blue stripes, and I would STRONGLY recommend using SEM product, which you should be able to source (hopefully) at a local automotive paint supplier, so that you can look at the sample-ring in person. A good washing, SEM prep, then a product by SEM called "Sand Free" (it temporarily softens the vinyl for better tooth/adhesion), then apply the color, and you'll find it to be extremely durable. Especially in that upper location that doesn't get much abuse, like the bottom cushion does.

I drive a Mercedes that has a "stone gray" interior that is very close to white. Very light. I goofed up and wiped down my steering wheel with a microfiber that was contaminated in a shop-solvent that took the color right off it. Serious screw-up, considering a replacement wheel was quoted at $2800 bucks, and that was with my trade-discount LOL. So we dyed the wheel with SEM. Mind you, a steering wheel is being constantly handled and worn-on. But the SEM dye-job has been tough as nails for over a half-year of daily driving now, the wheel looks brand-new. If SEM can stick to a steering wheel, and cover a dark mess with a light shade 100%, and LAST, then it can handle those stripes with ease.

Yes, I would simply dye your blue stripes, and I would STRONGLY recommend using SEM product, which you should be able to source (hopefully) at a local automotive paint supplier, so that you can look at the sample-ring in person. A good washing, SEM prep, then a product by SEM called "Sand Free" (it temporarily softens the vinyl for better tooth/adhesion), then apply the color, and you'll find it to be extremely durable. Especially in that upper location that doesn't get much abuse, like the bottom cushion does.

I drive a Mercedes that has a "stone gray" interior that is very close to white. Very light. I goofed up and wiped down my steering wheel with a microfiber that was contaminated in a shop-solvent that took the color right off it. Serious screw-up, considering a replacement wheel was quoted at $2800 bucks, and that was with my trade-discount LOL. So we dyed the wheel with SEM. Mind you, a steering wheel is being constantly handled and worn-on. But the SEM dye-job has been tough as nails for over a half-year of daily driving now, the wheel looks brand-new. If SEM can stick to a steering wheel, and cover a dark mess with a light shade 100%, and LAST, then it can handle those stripes with ease.
Thanks for the feed back. Good info

I would agree with earlier comment that SEM products are a quality dye. You need to pay very close attention in the prep process. As they always say 90% prep and 10% paint gets you a better result. When I reconditioned my original black interior I used all of the SEM preparation process and let good old sunlight in the south dry things out and I am happy with the results and the MCA judges have agreed.

Everyone is recommending SEM but from what we are seeing they don’t have the color I need. Anyone ever use this alternate company PARASOL?

Back