Torque converter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I know next to nothing about torque converters, so I am looking for a little insight. I have an FMX trans, and a 2bbl cleveland now with 3:50 gears. I want a track style driver that can power through corners but still be viable on the street. I do one day want to upgrade to a 4 bbl top end, and would like to stay with whatever converter I get. Any thoughts/recommendations for a converter? Where to get one?

Summit probably has one of the best selections and pricing. I installed a Streetfighter 1900-200 stall converter in my 69 vert with 3:55 gears. Lays out about 6 inches of rubber and the rest is pure acceleration. I have a CJ 2500 stall converter in my 73 vert (351c) with 3:25 gears and it gets up and goes at full throttle, but there is some noticeable lag when gently tooling around town. I actually prefer the 1900 - 2000 stall performance overall.

Did you have to get a new flex plate for that converter?
Your existing flex plate should should work, but I would check it over for cracks and check the teeth for wear.

Other things that you need to consider when buying the converter are existing cam and if you are going to upgrade in the near future, and existing rear gear and tire diameter for determining engine rpm when at cruising speed.

My cam I think is a stock 351 2bbl cam, 15by7 p235, 3:50 gears. Do you think a 2000 stall would be ok? I plan to put a 4 bbl intake in with a 670 holley on, and an MSD dizzy. Oh, and upgrade to steel fulcrums for rockers. Keep in mind, by this time next year I want to be building my 4 bbl engine. I would like to use some of my perf parts with that build too. I just want a good street driver for this up and coming summer so I dont want to get too carried away with perf parts.

The 69 also has an AOD so a different flex plate was required. The CJ in the 73 required a special flex plate with a smaller bolt pattern.

But you should be able to use your stock plate with a new replacement convertor as long as it's in good shape. As noted above, teeth wear is the biggest issue. I'm pretty sure replacement torque convertors are all similar in size to the factory. BTW, factory typical torque converter stall was usually 1700 - 1800 for 351c 2 bbls.

Back