transform 71 coupe to a Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmurphy

Reaction score
My Car
71 coupe 302 V-8
I am restoring a '71 coupe that is in not to bad a shape. After looking at other mustangs I wish my car was a Mach1. I was online looking for parts and came across a '71 Mach 1 rolling chassis. Has anyone ever cut the top/rear half of a Mach 1 off and added it to a coupe?

Turning a coupe into a convertible maybe but the expense of transforming a coupe into a fastback would far outweigh the cost of a decent stripped fastback.

Mmmm... i know what you mean... Fastbacks are fastbacks and i besides it is my favorite body style in mustangs, the job you are planning is complicated...

I´ve seen 66 - 70 mustangs coupes to fastbacks in the net... it can be done at least in those years.. in fact, there is people who sells the body kits to do that fot about 5 K

But in our body style mustangs, i dont think the transformation worth the money.. for less than 5000 dollars you get a decent ORIGINAL mach 1 and you still can have the coupé...

If the shell you found is decent, i´ll consider the chance of using it as the base of the new mustang and just put the coupe parts in the fastback shell... You are gonna need a bunch of parts that are different... Back glass is obvious but interior has a lot of differences too... roof headline, back seat, quarters and all the back part of the interior trim... Don´t know.. if you start counting on new parts you´re gonna need, i´m pretty sure you´re gonna get close to the value of an actual restorable fastback... Think it through and i´m supportive on you buying another mustang, this time, a mach 1 ! ;)

Bottom line, if you want a fastback, GET ONE... you´re not gonna regret it :)

I think the amount of work it would take to convert a coupe to a fast back would be equal to or less than finding a low cost fast back and restoring it! But hey, don't hate the coupe...they are becoming more popular! I'm restoring a 72 coupe myself! It's gonna have Mach stripes and a black vinyl roof and 400 hp! It's gonna be cool! :D

I´m angry at you rocketfoot to take the I6 of your coupe... :p

BTW... yesterday i saw..here in my city, a 71-72 coupé.... or grande?? (it had the vynil top)... horrible of looks but... im gonna try to find it and maybe, i´ll add another 71-73 to my waiting list! :p i have a bunch of NOS parts, body parts, glass, interior and stuff like that to restore another of this era mustang... The guy who sold me the fastback gave me almost another car in spare parts :p

BTW... yesterday i saw..here in my city, a 71-72 coupé.... or grande?? (it had the vynil top)... horrible of looks but... im gonna try to find it and maybe, i´ll add another 71-73 to my waiting list! :p i have a bunch of NOS parts, body parts, glass, interior and stuff like that to restore another of this era mustang... The guy who sold me the fastback gave me almost another car in spare parts :p
Sorry it had to be done...the I6 was locked up tighter than a bank vault! I tried for weeks to free it up but no luck. The money needed to rebuild it was better spent on the 306 crate.

Sorry it had to be done...the I6 was locked up tighter than a bank vault! I tried for weeks to free it up but no luck. The money needed to rebuild it was better spent on the 306 crate.

Mmmm.. ok i forgive you :p Do you know argentinian falcon 6 cylinder engines??. if you dont, google them... Besides the parts are all usefull for ford american I6, there is one engine called 221 SP wich is 221 cubic inches with a factory 2V carb that goes really well.. in fact, it beats small V8 blocks in performance arrond here....

Latest posts

Back