Transmission advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a guy selling an FMX. He said it was rebuilt, he bought a new converter, installed it on a 60s/70struck, but never ran it. Then decided to go with an AOD instead. So he removed it and stored it. He added some tranny fluid to the converter and transmission.

When comparing it to my transmission, there seem to be a few differences. The bell housing seems a little different as mine does not have the part in the yellow circle in the pic below. I assume the bell housing difference would not make a difference unless it affects the kickdown rod. Other than that, my transmission has 3 different rods attached to it. In the pic below, white goes to the shifter, red to the kickdown rod and green to the steering box. The other transmission does not seem to have the one for the steering box. Would that mean I would need to swap that part from my transmission to the other one, or can I just leave it unhooked?

295050d1a577270b75c2c0458a2b1840.jpg

c9a1d1c938c9f52a569c41779e9cbf32.jpg

70d9a0ecf1022e3924a0b3dd6487ebf6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You bought a column-shifted FMX. The black bracket supports the end of the shift cable from the column. You can swap your current bellhousing onto the new unit without disturbing the transmission internals.

Personally, I'd swap the shift linkage bellcrank from your current correct transmission into the replacement. That way, everything will bolt up and work as the factory intended.

You bought a column-shifted FMX. The black bracket supports the end of the shift cable from the column. You can swap your current bellhousing onto the new unit without disturbing the transmission internals.

Personally, I'd swap the shift linkage bellcrank from your current correct transmission into the replacement. That way, everything will bolt up and work as the factory intended.

I kind of thought that might the case since most trucks have a column shifter. I know they are different on the C4 and C6, but didn’t really investigate much about the differences in the FMX. I read in another forum that the tail shaft and housings are of different length and that both would need to be swapped to keep the same speedometer gear. Does anyone know if that is accurate? I measured the transmissions and they both seems to be the same length. Both tailshaft housings measure approximately 13 and 1/4 inches.

So the suggestion would be to swap the bell housing and also swap the range selector arm? The range selector arm swap would imply dropping the pan and valve body, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I ended up swapping the bellhousing and range selector arm/shifter linkage from my original transmission to the replacement. The transmissions were swapped this past weekend. (I ended up hiring a mobile mechanic and tagged along to learn) I took the car out for a short test drive and it seems to be working well. The transmission engages immediately, there is no delay or "morning sickness" anymore. I might have to adjust the shift points, but will have to do some research into how to do that. I felt it shifted a little funny under hard acceleration.

It was a short drive because my differential has a small leak and my registration is expired; and there is a constables office about a block from where I live. I will take it for an inspection now that it is driveable and get the registration. I also swapped the stock 2 bbl intake and carb to a Weiand intake and Edelbrock 650 cfm carb before the transmission started slipping badly. So I have not been able to really test drive it properly with the new intake/carb combo to check driveability.

so how complicated is the AOD swap? I have heard different things about crossmembers and the like. I would like to put an AOD in my 72 convert behind a 347 stroker

Back