Transmission grounded to fender

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshgibson

Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1
I am fixing up my Dad's 1973 mach1 351C, so it'll run.

There's a ground run from the fender next to the solenoid to the transmission...
Does anyone know why that may be? Does not seem all that necessary to me, would think it would be in a different place...

Looking for possible thought processes to this decision.

The factory Battery (-) cable runs from the battery (-) post, attaches to the lower screw on the voltage regulator, then gets bolted to the engine block just below and behind the alternator. The starter cable from the rear post of the solenoid runs through a bracket attached with the same bolt. You may be seeing that and thinking the ground goes to the transmission.

#10 is the ground cable
#11 is the starter cable

1717700867445.png

#5 is the ground cable - highlighted with pink dots
#9 is the screw that attaches the ground cable ground strap to the fender apron

1717701014243.png

That ground cable typically bolts to the engine blocks ground tab. I suppose it still will due the job bolted to the tranny, but suggest you use the factory block location.

Attachments

• 20240606_152241.jpg
    20240606_152241.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
The factory Battery (-) cable runs from the battery (-) post, attaches to the lower screw on the voltage regulator, then gets bolted to the engine block just below and behind the alternator. The starter cable from the rear post of the solenoid runs through a bracket attached with the same bolt. You may be seeing that and thinking the ground goes to the transmission.

#10 is the ground cable
#11 is the starter cable

View attachment 89451

View attachment 89452
Never seen that style positive battery cable to starter bracket before. Pretty cool.

#10 is the ground cable
#11 is the starter cable

View attachment 89451

View attachment 89452
I guess the drawing of that cable clamp is pretty close to the actual piece. The ones they sell seem to be wrong I had to twist the one I bought. IMG_1996.jpeg

Back