Tremec to Automatic Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
My 73 currently has a TKO 600 transmission with a 427 Windsor making 570 ft-lbs of torque. After buying and driving my 70 Dart Swinger with an automatic (727) I am finding that I want to move to an automatic with overdrive on the Mustang. I am retired and am done tinkering. What I want is a quality "new" transmission, ideally, a kit much like the American Powertrain kit in the car. I will have a local shop do the install as they did with the Tremec. Looking for suggestions please. Thanks.

The thing with new transmissions is they are all electronic. You will be adding an aftermarket computer to control it. And a believe some of them will want extra sensors mounted to your analog car parts. Like a throttle position sensor stuck onto the passenger side of your carb and a tie in to your brake so the transmission computer knows when you applied the brakes.

For 570ftlb of torque, that may be pushing it for a 4R70W. Maybe bump it up to a 4R75W. Those are supposedly able to handle more power. Personally, I would be looking at a 6L80 to get the double overdrive.

But honestly, if I woke up tomorrow and wanted an automatic in one of my old fords, I would go with a C6 and install a gear vendors unit on the back of it. Maybe build it with a shift kit if that's your thing. IDK anybody who sells an all in one kit to swap over to a C6 though. You'd need to source some parts. Good news is you know there is 100% of the parts available to fit the transmission in your car and have it working right. With all the other non-factory options, you will be stuck trying to figure out what cheap, gaudy aftermarket shifter to use.

Thanks. They look like what I need.
How did you make out on your hunt?
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, I am putting a 4R70W in my '73 vert and have taken the long way around to figure it all out.
The 70 in 4R70W means it is built for 700 NM of torque which equates to somewhere around 520 ft.lbs but not all 4R70W's are built the same.
The other problem with a 4R70W is they have different bellhouse patterns in different cars. For a SBF you need an Essex bellhouse pattern. The V6 Mustangs up to 2004 also used Essex, so if you find a 2003/2004 mustang with a V6 auto you can use that tranny. Personally, I would get it rebuilt at a good tranny shop and ask the rebuilder to max it out with available parts to handle your torque as well as getting a J-mod shift kit for quicker shifting.
You will also need to get a reworked torque converter with a higher stall speed that will match your motor, I am thinking somewhere around 2800rpm from what you said but I am no expert, get the tranny guy to help you with that.
There is a way to get the auto trannys from a mod motor to fit your SBF but it involves getting an adapter, and they are flippin' expensive for what you get. You are looking anywhere from $800 to $1500 for a decent one. If that's the way you want to go I can help you with the transmission. Before I figured out the bellhousing difference I pulled a 4R75W (~550 ft.lbs) out of a 2004 Crown Vic Police Interceptor and had it rebuilt to the tune of $2300 CAD. So if you want an awesome deal on a tranny I will let it go cheap. It has the J-mod but I kept the torque converter so you will need to find one.
Another issue with the 4R70W's is that they are an electronic transmission so all of the signals are electronic which means your old speedometer wont work unless you get a digital to analog converter, they run about $300-$400. The alternative is to hunt really hard for the 2003-4 V6 mustang tranny. When I found mine it still had the analog port for the speedo cable so my factory speedo will still work fine without converting the signal.

You can get a Quick4 to control the transmission if you like or you can go back to the 2003-4 Crown Vic and take the EEC-V ECU/Controller out of it and use that. It will needs some inputs modified but I am pretty sure it's doable. The major benefit to taking the EEC-V is that if you every want to convert your engine to EFI that is probably the best way. It's not cheap but if you have time on your hands and want to open yourself up the the world of tuning, here is your opportunity.

If you decide to go the route of using an adapter plate then I wouldn't bother with a 4R70W or a 4R75W (unless you want an awesome deal) I would personally go right to a 6R80 (590 ft.lbs) from a 2011-14 Mustang. Since the adapter adds 3" to your transmission and you will need a new mount anyway just go with the 6R80. You will need a different shifter with the button for Manual type shifting but could you imagine the fun you could have with a 6 or 10R80?

Back