Ugly Step Sister

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaMaverick

Reaction score
My Car
74 Maverick
Had a 1965 Mustang with 289 and 3 speed stick transmission in the late 70s. Next Mustang was a loaded 1974 V6 automatic in the early 80s. Now I have their step sister, a 1974 Maverick, 302, automatic. It is a 4 door (on purpose, for trips to Gilmore Car Museum) with 79k one family miles. Joining this forum because info on the old Maverick is so scarce.

Attachments

• mvrk2.jpg
    mvrk2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 0
I had a 72 comet, which is the sister to your maverick. Aside from both being ford rear wheel drive cars, there really wasn't much in common with mustangs. General information about the drivetrain will carry over. Thats about it. None of the body or interior parts are the same besides like lightbulbs and trim screws.

I did pull the bucket seats out of my 72 mustang parts car and put in my comet to replace the bench. The outer holes match. There's no inner holes. So its not exactly safe to ride around like that. :D

One of these days I'm gonna come across a sweet deal on a comet or maverick and bring it home with me. I miss that PoS.

Last edited:
I presume you have been here:

https://mmb.maverick.to/

and if you haven't found them yet, do a search on the Maverick GT. The Maverick lived a longer, different life in Mexico and Brazil.

AND...there's the guy that put an 84 300ci straight six from an Econoline into his Maverick. Didn't rebuild it, turboed the thing and was running in the 10s or 11s.

Welcome to 7173mustangs. Check this site out too...
https://maverickcometclub.org/
It is a great club with nice people to meet at the "Roundups". Next one is in Kingsport, TN July 17-21

I have this 74, LDO with 26K original miles and paint. Was the 2002 Carlisle All Ford giveaway car I was lucky enough to win. Don't see many around anymore since most were driven to death and crushed. Bet yours gets allot of looks too!

1720052112047.png
1720052566870.png

Back