Underside Pics from 200 mileage 73 vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
A friend tipped me that the recent e-magazine Mustang 360 has an article on the underside details of an original 200 mileage 73 vert. For some reason I used to receive it regularly, but not any more - -have to figure that one out another day.

The e-article features 30 excellent photos of underside details,

Current Link: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1612-hard-core-resto-tech-for-1971-1973-mustangs/

Considering this is a large nugget of pure gold for those doing a high-level restoration of 71-73 years 'stang, I'm wondering if somehow this site can get a copy or permanent link to the article with pics for future reference.

Recent discussion of trunk drop off hole weep configuration: Here is the pic

1973-ford-mustang-rear-quarter-panel.jpg

I found this fascinating and kinda reminiscent since my 73 vert was a untouched 42K Texas car when I purchased it from the original owner back in 1994 and many of the features shown were present on my car. Since it was well before the age of digital photos, I took film pics of the car and details, but they would need to be scanned in order to share. I'm not even sure the scan process would even yield that much detail and clarity.

Based on these photos, by '73 there was already showing many changes from the early '71s. The issue of the primer, paint and overspray on the underside of these cars cannot be tied down to one set of photos such as these. The assembly line workers of the day dictated how the final product left the assembly line and if you are doing a high level restoration, you really have to document your own car. The concepts shown in all these pictures would apply to the three model years, just not the process of how certain aspects were achieved on each car.

Last edited:
Based on these photos, by '73 there was already showing many changes from the early '71s. The issue of the primer, paint and overspray on the underside of these cars cannot be tied down to one set of photos such as these. The assembly line workers of the day dictated how the final product left the assembly line and if you are doing a high level restoration, you really have to document your own car. The concept shown in all these pictures would apply to the three years, just not the exact process of how certain aspects were achieved.
I agree. I also think good quality pics like this are a necessary baseline resource since they are few and far between for any year.

Latest posts

Back