Update 1/3 on 1973 Mach 1 Mustang Restoration And Story On How I found It

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i basically stick my head out the window or open the door to reverse.
Lol that's how I back this up! (open the door that is because the windows don't open)
That's the plan! This body style of mustang is similar to my Camaro so it won't be hard to get use to. But I don't plan on leaving her park in one given place out in public for long.

I am going with the louvers too. I just like the looks of them. Keep us updated with pics when you can.

-jbojo
It's in the shop currently. It's not a rush project so they're working on it whenever they get a spot open in the shop. It's has one tire not holding air that well. But I'm buying a new set pretty soon, and they need the tires to get the brake work done. After that, replace a few hoses and I'll be driving it home. I plan on calling the shop tomorrow on my way to school. So far I've been talking around with people much older than me and actually met someone who said that they have been in it going well over 100mph down the highway. So I know this mustang had some history. Once the car is out of the shop, I plan on grabbing my camera and taking some full shots of her. I have a video of her running, went to go see her for my birthday back in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, sounds like you have a great project there.
It sure is. I'm have local shops helping me with the mechanics and body/paint work while I'm in school. Once it's painted the interior work will be done by me most likely, and if I have any problems, I've got friends that restore cars for a living. But yeah, it's a great project. I'm excited to get her and start driving to school in her. I was talking to one of my Principals and he told me to feel free to park it in front of the school whenever I drove it. He's happy to see someone taking interest in classic cars. And I have people all over my county ready to see it back on the road because the car has some history here. So not only am I restoring a car but a bit of history.

@Don65Stang if you find it send it to me, I'm still trying to figure out how bright/dark I want to go with them.
I forget the details of the post but I just noticed that I saved them on my hard drive since I hadn't seen that combo before. Seems like it was an ebay ad where someone saw the car and made a post about it or it could have been the owner posting - hard to remember every post I've seen on here. The file date for when I saved the pics was 11/21/11 so it's been a while.

This is cool

But how did he do the stripes?

I can't find stencils for the strips and I like the idea of have the hood and and strips painted and clear coated

This opens up different accent colour other than flat black and argent

Has any one stencilled the stripes?

If so post some picks

Best of luck.. I believe I saw that car on Craigslist.. Almost went for it, but found my Q-code instead..

Enjoy..

I'm making this thread to put my ideas out there and see what you guys think about what I'm doing. And I also am going to tell the story on how I came across the '73 Mach 1 I am going to start restoring soon. I will be turning 18 in November so I'm probably one of the youngest people here that is restoring a car, and I might have some abnormal ideas on adding to the car but nothing that would destroy the car, because I may want to make it original one day. The story will be at the bottom because it's kind of lengthy.

Pictures

I will keep uploading them here with my progression!

I plan to keep updating this post so look for the title changing like "Update Month/Day" so be looking for the most recent date for updates!

[updates]

9/5-6/2013

- I am going to my cousins tomorrow to give him the money for the car and he's taking the car to his brother-in-law's shop Monday.

So I will get pictures of the car tomorrow after I'm home from school!

11/4-6/2013

Well I'm finally updating this post again! And I have some news, good news! Last month was drag racing season, so the people at the shop who were/are working on the car were caught up with all that. But now it's November, also my favorite month, and I got word that they got the original engine up and running again! Greatest news I've heard in months. Now they're going to see if they can clean the gas tank, if not, get a replacement. And they are also going to work on the brakes. After that I will be able to drive the car around and get a feel for her. I'll probably drive her on the weekends up until after my birthday/Thanksgiving, then she'll be off to the body shop to get the rear quarter panels replaced and painted. So this month seems like it's going to be a productive month for my Mustang and me.

1/3/14

So went to the shop today to pay for the parts that they ordered. I'm bringing them new tires Monday and if all goes well I will have it by Tuesday! They're going to be doing all the swapping of parts Monday while I'm in school. And on Friday if I have it I plan on picking up my girlfriend in her.

So here are my ideas for the car and things that I have to get replaced

Replaced parts

- Get the new fuel pump installed

- Get the new gas tank (if the current one can't be cleaned)

- Get the rear quarter panels replaced due to a spot of minor

- Get the chrome for the passenger turn signal light replaced (missing it)

- Get the grill emblem replaced

- Get new (black) carpet installed

- Get new (black with red inserts) 1973 Mach 1 seats installed

- Add era correct mirrors to the car (so I can see around me and be a safe driver)

- Get new exhaust system but installed in the same place where the one current one is (in front of rear tires, because that is what I first noticed about the car so I'm keeping that feature)

Colors

- Body main color will be black

- Mach 1 stripes I have decided to go with a red (like Candy Apple Red on earlier mustangs) to be different and make the colors pop a little

Parts the car is missing that would be on your average Mach 1

- Front spoiler

- Rear Spoiler

- Rear window louvers

Things that I have thought about adding or changing

- Changing to a wooden steering wheel

- Add multi-color Halo lights to it (that can change colors)

- Changing the gas cap to a Black Billet Gas Cap with Running Horse Emblem

- Add carbon fiber looking dash and panels in the car

- Change gauges to Dakota Digital gauges (color of gauges would be red)

- Adding a custom sound system (for those rare days when I want to hear over or with the engine)

- Add a dumper switch to the car (if you don't know what that is, ask me)

- And thinking about adding interior LED lights (like I did in my 2011 Camaro)

[side note and cool fact, I know Jack Roush through my mother and her boyfriend since they are into aviation and they met with him at a few air shows. And I am considering on contacting him and seeing if he could one day do a little engine work on my Mach 1 some day.]

The story if you care to read or wanted to hear it, if not keep scrolling!

So all summer I was on a search to find a classic car to restore. When I started looking I looked at the '71-'73 Mustangs and didn't like them at first so I ignored them while I searched. All summer the owners would back out of the deal or sell the car before I got there. So one day I had a deal set up to go get a '67 Camaro on the coast of NC. So I called my second cousin and asked him when he could get his flat bed and take me to get it. As soon as he responded the owner said he sold the car. So I had to call my cousin back and tell him the deal was off. And he could tell I was disappointed and he told me about how he has a 1973 Mach 1 Mustang that he just replaced the fuel tank on and if I was interested to come and check it out. So I let it sit in my head for a while, and looked up some pictures on what they looked like etc. and I decided to go for it. So I ended up going and looking at it, and he told me everything about it. He told me what it needed and what he didn't tell me I saw or said myself. It needed a new fuel pump, new rear quarter panels (because of minor rust so getting that replaced), it needs a complete restoration on the interior (which I'll be adding a custom touch to, but keep most original and make sure I can revert it back if I want to make it all original), and it also has the original 351 C in it and it runs. So he told me a price, $3,500, and that is what he bought it for a few years ago. The car will be a 4 owner car when I turn 18 in November, until it's in his name so we don't have to put it in my parent's name (so we don't spend more money). It has also never left the county I live in, the original owner was someone that went to service so he sold it and an old woman bought it and barely drove it, and later that is when my cousin bought it from her. And now I own it. And will be restoring it as I finish high school. But before I get to see her again she'll be going from my cousin's house to his step-brother's shop to get her in driving condition for me.

Man that was a lot, thought I'd never get done, lol.

So tell me what you think, what you like, what you'd question on doing, etc.

Thanks for reading!

- Brandon
About a dumper switch, a cutout on the exhaust? Everything else sounds great, the cut out since I have 2 1/4 from h pipe down, a way to keep it running on the highway when smokies not around and for best efficiency at long drives however w/a cleveland w/a hi pro lunati flat camshaft and solid lifters, do not expect gas mileage, at all. See my March COTM for next year, give you extra ideas.

Saw your thread on building your car. What happened it stopped?

You should venture out and do more yourself. Anyone can do brake work and clean up the fuel system. Not many young guys now days want to fool with anything but a video game. I am old timer in North Carolina. I built my first car while in high school. I was the only one that built the whole car. I read every car book and magazine I could lay my hands on and borrowed shop manuals from my uncle that was mechanic all his life. Once you do your own work you won't trust anyone else. A car is a pretty simple machine and before the computers very few things could go wrong to stop the car from running.

I would like to see more of what is going on with your car. I would never replace a quarter panel with minor rust it will never look right. You can cut patch panels and butt weld the seams and grind and you will never know it was patched from inside or out.

TELL MORE OF YOUR STORY.

David[/b]

You should venture out and do more yourself. Anyone can do brake work and clean up the fuel system. Not many young guys now days want to fool with anything but a video game. I am old timer in North Carolina. I built my first car while in high school. I was the only one that built the whole car. I read every car book and magazine I could lay my hands on and borrowed shop manuals from my uncle that was mechanic all his life. Once you do your own work you won't trust anyone else. A car is a pretty simple machine and before the computers very few things could go wrong to stop the car from running.

I would like to see more of what is going on with your car. I would never replace a quarter panel with minor rust it will never look right. You can cut patch panels and butt weld the seams and grind and you will never know it was patched from inside or out.

TELL MORE OF YOUR STORY.

David[/b]
In my story, Trying to maintain between the car clubs, church, family, property project since 1977,......only bits and pieces can tell you however, on my facebook, will pm you about this only being the tip of my iceberg, per se. As with a paralysis of both legs and no tools nor facilities, and looking at a 3 cervical disc fusion, not in the condition nor the Mrs will not allow the time away from family responsibilities and at 60, in bad w/Diabetes and her major illnesses, been going on during entire time in this marriage back since 03. I'm about through with all the work, time to spend next year and + into car shows and drives with it. With the inheritance of @ 7 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. And just maintaining the rest of what I worked myself into to this point with .....time to either sell out or cut bait and fish, per se. LOL

TELL MORE OF YOUR STORY.

David[/b]
In my story, Trying to maintain between the car clubs, church, family, property project since 1977,......only bits and pieces can tell you however, on my facebook, will pm you about this only being the tip of my iceberg, per se. As with a paralysis of both legs and no tools nor facilities, and looking at a 3 cervical disc fusion, not in the condition nor the Mrs will not allow the time away from family responsibilities and at 60, in bad w/Diabetes and her major illnesses, been going on during entire time in this marriage back since 03. I'm about through with all the work, time to spend next year and + into car shows and drives with it. With the inheritance of @ 7 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. And just maintaining the rest of what I worked myself into to this point with .....time to either sell out or cut bait and fish, per se. LOL
Suddenly, my life seems a hell of a lot easier than I appreciate. Good luck to you sir and all that you are dealing with.

I understand all you are dealing with. That is why my 73 Mach 1 has sat for over 30 years. Family, work and all that comes with living just pushed it to the side. Also like you age is going to pull me down sooner than later, I am 67 but in good health. I am building garage and putting everything in to help the old bones keep moving, rotisserie, 2 post lift, rolling A frame and enough room so I can spread the car out and not have to put everything up just come back and work when I want. If you quit working you quit living and you won't last long without keeping the mind and body moving.

At least my son will have a great place to work when I am gone. Some leave house, money but I am leaving a herd of mustangs and a corral to work on them in.

David

Back