Update! Luxstang reinvents the wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nicely done! I have always liked watching your car evolve over the years! This took a very modern looking car and gave it a classy addition, very nicely done!
It's called a "no plan strategy". I make things up as I go. :)

I'll tell you honestly that I still don't really like it.

I think you had a great flash of inspiration, did an awesome job of making it happen, and achieved the best results possible.  ::thumb::

But I'm with you - it's not my favorite look.  The un-ringed dog dish covers remind me of police car wheels (Adam-12, anybody?) - plain and utilitarian... and not much more.  Seeing 'the Mopar look,' especially on various muscle cars makes me think they (the owner) was too cheap to spring for a nice set of wheels (totally just my weird thought on the topic in general).

Your car is very distinctive-looking (and cool), and to me the best look is the larger wheels with polished rings and low-profile tires.  I know you have to get it inspected periodically with OEM-sized wheels, so the 15-inch wheels are [usually] a temporary thing.  Still gotta make it look how you like it even then... I know (I do the same thing with my cars, too).  Hopefully, you'll find the look you're wanting soon.

Instead of raising the car again, what about going with a 1" less diameter wheel/tire combination?  What about a set of TCP front adjustable coil-overs?  http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html  (I'm not happy with my "alleged" 1" drop front coils, either - so I'm looking pretty hard at a set of these, since they're a quick and easy way to get front adjustable coil-overs).

I don't think 1/2" up front is going to mess with the stance very much at all - you probably won't even have to mess with the rear end.

Hang in there, Man!

Meh...

The wheel/tire combo needs to be big to look good imho. If you go smaller then the edge of the rim will be too far away from the edge of the wheel well and it will look higher. I need room for suspension travel.

It actually was the Mopar look I was after but turns out the dishes are too big for that.

I don't know where this road will take me. :)

And for the next thread from Lexstang:

Luxstang Invents Fire, Files Patent.

I still wasn't entirely pleased with the result as I've mentioned previously so I tried something else. I guess I know now what it is with women and shoes. :)

I ordered rings for the 7x15 styled steel rims and who'da thunk they actually fit perfectly. 

So now it kinda looks like the original dish with rings setup only with a Magnum 500 underneath. 

I like it but there's something that I'm not quite sure about yet. I won't say it as I wanna know if it bugs someone else who'll point it out. :)

On a side note: i keep reading that the 15 inch tings for the bosses are unobtainable. Could these do the trick? I don't remember what they are supposed to look like.

IMG_8277.JPG

Satin finish dishes and polished shine rings? Is that what you were referring to?

Those rings are not too terribly different to the original style. The original rings have a flat 1/2 inch "filler" area that covers the area fron the inside of the slope on the ring to the dish. There remains a very small 1 or 2 mm gap between the dish and the ring on the original.

Your aftermarket rings are a very good substitute.

Ding, Ding, ding! We have a winner. 

I was wondering whether the fact that the rings are shiny whereas the dishes are brushed should bother me. I haven't decided yet. On one hand it doesn't really together on the other hand it kinda looks like it was meant to go together. 

What's the forum's verdict on that? 

Yeah I remember that the original ones had the lip that almost lined their edge up with the trim ring. I wonder if I could make it look more original if I painted that part of the rim argent/silver/gray or whatever it'd take to blend the gap in with the rest. Here's a pic from up front. 

The gap with the dark rim makes two dark circles with the ones painted on the dishes.

IMG_8291.JPG

Oh, I see that I took the picture a little off center. The cap looks off to the center in the pic, whereas in reality it's centered on the wheel and the distance to the ring is the same all the way around.

I still wasn't entirely pleased with the result as I've mentioned previously so I tried something else. I guess I know now what it is with women and shoes. :)

I ordered rings for the 7x15 styled steel rims and who'da thunk they actually fit perfectly. 

So now it kinda looks like the original dish with rings setup only with a Magnum 500 underneath. 

I like it but there's something that I'm not quite sure about yet. I won't say it as I wanna know if it bugs someone else who'll point it out. :)

On a side note: i keep reading that the 15 inch tings for the bosses are unobtainable. Could these do the trick? I don't remember what they are supposed to look like.
I love the wheels On your ride. Where did you get the 15 inch trim rings ?

Back