Vinyl wrapped cracked dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is, once you start this kind of work, you mainly sew 3 layers at a time and more once you think about seats and covers, as you have a protective layer that is in contact with what ever you cover and sometimes a thin foam sheet too. That's when most sewing machines will give up after a few stitches if they even go thru on the first one.
Did quite a lot of search on this as I thought I'd be sewing vs restore my c6 last winter. This machine was given by lots of pro's, in leather industry as an excellent all round machine and as one of the very best considering price/performance. As its motor is able to pierce without a blink thru the most thick pieces of leather at acceptable speeds. It is more than enough for me but I need buy one anyway as the Toyota will not do it.

For the french seam, just like everything, it's all about practice I think... but a little guide to have a visual help can't hurt when skills levels are low, I know I'll need one ;)

In case you want do more, found this excellent channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_8PUaXqvjSq3p1lYouXzQ

He also has one using a mustang pony to emboss it into the leather. I've subscribed kuz of that. :D  

Just started this today. Will try and finish tonight and hope for the best. The French stitch is a little rough but happy for it being the first time.  :classic_blush:

73465868-8FA0-4C69-9721-C360D4DAAD82.jpeg

What I see is NOT little, It's huge!!! :D
Once glued and may be heat gunned a bit so the sews are on the edges of the part, it's gonna look awesome!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!  My Dad was great at making interiors for Model A Fords using a commercial sewing machine, but I am with the others, I couldn’t even turn it on or thread the needle.

Okay so Im starting on the rear quarter panels now. I had to make 2-3 to finally get it down. Doing the French sticking and all the curves where hard  :help:

but I feel like they look good enough that I can deal with it. I had to make a template and take my time. Here are some pics 

71590E07-7DE1-4299-B3C1-6F87AE6176F2.jpeg

8BD2DC8E-7EC8-456D-9B36-2AF391DADF2E.jpeg

Back