Want to fix my A/C?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some info, I am not trying to say this is good or bad but want to make sure everyone knows the facts. I was contemplating using this too at one time. Duracool is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant and very flammable. Just did some research on this from the EPA site:

3. What is the legal status of hydrocarbon refrigerants such as HC-12a® and DURACOOL®?

It has been illegal since July 13, 1995 to replace CFC-12 with the HC-12a® formulation that was submitted for SNAP review in any refrigeration or A/C application other than industrial process refrigeration. The same prohibition for OZ-12® took effect on April 18, 1994. Because DURACOOL 12a® has the same chemical composition as the HC-12a® formulation that was submitted for SNAP review (i.e., Hydrocarbon Blend B), DURACOOL 12a® is also subject to the same restrictions.

HC-12a®, as reformulated to meet DOT requirements, is not the same as Hydrocarbon Blend B and has not been submitted for SNAP review. OZ Technology is therefore prohibited from marketing this blend as a substitute for any ozone-depleting substance. In addition, any use of this blend as a substitute for CFC-12 or any other ozone-depleting chemical, in industrial process refrigeration or any other refrigeration or A/C end use, is prohibited under the Clean Air Act.

Since HC-12a®, as submitted for SNAP review, is chemically different from HC-12a®, as reformulated to meet DOT requirements, and since it has a different legal status under the Clean Air Act, users of any substance marketed as HC-12a® should be aware of which HC-12a® they have purchased.

Note: Many states prohibit using flammable refrigerants in motor vehicles, regardless of which original refrigerant was used in the vehicle.

4. May hydrocarbon refrigerants be used to replace CFC-12, commonly referred to as "Freon® ," in cars?

No. It is illegal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants like HC-12a® and DURACOOL 12a® as substitutes for CFC-12 in automobile or truck air conditioning under any circumstances.

5. Why is it legal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants as CFC-12 substitutes in industrial process refrigeration, but not elsewhere?

EPA has not yet received data that adequately address the safety issues of hydrocarbon refrigerants in applications other than industrial process refrigeration. Flammability risks depend on the type of refrigeration or air-conditioning system. Industrial process refrigeration, for instance, does not include air conditioning, which pipes refrigerated air directly into occupied areas. Industrial process refrigeration generally refers to complex customized appliances used in the chemical, pharmaceutical, petrochemical and manufacturing industries. Direct risk to human health is reduced in industrial process refrigeration; for example, access to areas near the system is typically restricted. In addition, other regulations exist to protect the safety of industrial workers.

EPA will review any additional material that is submitted under SNAP regarding the safety considerations of using hydrocarbon refrigerants in systems other than industrial process refrigeration.
Yes that information is on the web site. I am not a business so they sent me the refrigerant. Everything that I read about its performance was great. It has passed all environmental testing in Canada the U.S. always drags their feet approving anything.

We all know the R-12 blow up was a hoax also. Freon is a heavy gas and in now way could have ever got to the ozone layer to do anything. There were studies showing that the ozone levels in the 50's was more out of whack before there were hardly any air conditioners and much less refrigeration.

There was probably some politics in both of the situations.

Studies made using the ginkgo tree have shown that carbon gas levels were higher millions of years ago than they are now. That tree has been growing and still lives for over 270 million years so fossils give details of how the air was in history. I guess the flintstones cars didn't have catalytic converters.

Loud exhaust is illegal also but not going to take that off either.

When I work on my car I always try to find something better and this sounds like a great product that will eventually be allowed here. It will be an interesting test to see how cold the air is coming out of the vents.

I am not going to do something that would harm anyone and yes you cannot go to the local shop and get them to install the duracool in your car but you can.

I would see a CNG vehicle as a much more dangerous fire and explosion hazard over a few ounces of duracool. I ran my van with a dual fuel system back about 1975 when gas got scarce. There was enough propane in the 32 gallon tank and 20 gallon gas tank to take out several city blocks if it leaked out.

I still think it is all political when you see all the buses, trucks and about every brand of car has CNG which will one day be in the headlines when a station or vehicle blows.

I have a friend that when he cranks up his monster 66 GTO that is over 500 CI it makes ice on the intake manifold so much gas is getting vaporized. He thought something was wrong the first time he cranked it and called someone at Roush and they just laughed and told him it was acting like an air conditioner due to the volume of air going into the engine.

Some resist change I embrace it. Some things work some don't but if you don't try you will never know.

David
Be not the first by whom the new is tried, nor the last to set the old aside...;)

Ok got my car back from Classic Mustangs of Houston with the new AC and it is blowing nice and cold which is nice since it was 99 degrees on the way home. Here are the pictures I promised.

20162120678_b043161186_o.jpg

19727470104_10a28d5d8e_o.jpg

19727466174_9a21bbf682_o.jpg

Ok got my car back from Classic Mustangs of Houston with the new AC and it is blowing nice and cold which is nice since it was 99 degrees on the way home. Here are the pictures I promised.
Quick question, I just received a quote from my local shop for around $1100 to get my factory A/C up and running. They said the compressor and clutch were bad and needed to be replaced. What was the damage$ approximately to upgrade the system such as you did?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

20162120678_b043161186_o.jpg

19727470104_10a28d5d8e_o.jpg

19727466174_9a21bbf682_o.jpg
How much did you pay for the complete job? i have a trip to Houston in the near future and it would be the perfect time to get my AC working

As far as the bracket goes I completely agree with you guys. I thought the shop was going to replace it or clean it up. As far as cost, the parts were $1500. Everything under the dash was replaced with all new blowers and new hoses and they charged me $1200 to put it in.

Be aware that the aftermarket AC systems out there, such as Classic Air, do not take in outside fresh air. During the installation of the AC / Heater box, you must block off the outside air intake on the cowl. When this system is in use, it only recirculates the air inside the passenger compartment. Just an FYI

For anyone else out there who is contemplating repairing their AC systems, let me put in a good word for the folks at Classic Auto Air. They have two locations: Houston and Tampa, FL, the one I have used for many years.

I drove to the office this morning (here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida where it is hot and muggy) in my 1979 Thunderbird daily driver in very cool temperatures--thanks to a Classic Auto Air compressor.

They actually fabricate the systems and parts themselves on-site; I had the privilege of actually watching one of their guys rebuild my compressor. They produce a booklet complete with drawings for our Mustangs (71-73 Mustangs) to guide you through the process. NPD and others actually buy their products and resell them a retain prices.

My 2 cents.

Wes $2700 is a lot I think, on my car I need a compressor and drier and expansion valve, everything else is good, my condenser holds charge and all my lines are good and no leak from heater core, looking at new compressor with clutch and drier its $300, I found someone who would do it for $300 so total is $600 which I think its reasonable.

Classic Auto Air in Houston want $1700 to fix it.

plus i need the AC Stop Solenoid & bracket & nut for carb which are $100 in total

you can get this system for $799 or without condenser its $499

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-73-MUSTANG-Hi-Po-134a-A-C-Upgrade-Kit-V8-w-Adapter-Bkts-AC-Air-Conditioning-/400283366573?fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item5d32bf74ad&vxp=mtr

I met Billy over Niftee 50ees and told me about your car, you should come next Saturday

For anyone else out there who is contemplating repairing their AC systems, let me put in a good word for the folks at Classic Auto Air. They have two locations: Houston and Tampa, FL, the one I have used for many years.

I drove to the office this morning (here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida where it is hot and muggy) in my 1979 Thunderbird daily driver in very cool temperatures--thanks to a Classic Auto Air compressor.

They actually fabricate the systems and parts themselves on-site; I had the privilege of actually watching one of their guys rebuild my compressor. They produce a booklet complete with drawings for our Mustangs (71-73 Mustangs) to guide you through the process. NPD and others actually buy their products and resell them a retain prices.

My 2 cents.
Too bad for me, it is actually Dallas and not Houston for the TX location. I'm near Houston and would have loved to have access.

I've got two units that need to be rebuilt. Both yorks (69 & 71). Gonna have to bite the bullet and ship these compressors to them for rebuild I guess.

Does anyone out there manufacture a kit that will allow me to rebuild it?

My 2 cents.
Too bad for me, it is actually Dallas and not Houston for the TX location. I'm near Houston and would have loved to have access.

I've got two units that need to be rebuilt. Both yorks (69 & 71). Gonna have to bite the bullet and ship these compressors to them for rebuild I guess.

Does anyone out there manufacture a kit that will allow me to rebuild it?

Justin when I googled Classic Auto Air Houston, TX I get this website http://www.customcarcool.com/

I called them and they can install brand new compressor and all components for $1700 plus tax.

Justin when I googled Classic Auto Air Houston, TX I get this website http://www.customcarcool.com/

I called them and they can install brand new compressor and all components for $1700 plus tax.
Classic Auto air

920 Minters Chapel Road, Suite 400

Grapevine, TX 76051

(Local Phone - 817-442-4822)

I'm re-charging this topic with some news from today. I finally got the AC compressor out and decided I needed to get it re-built. I wanted to find a local place (Houston, TX area) from above we know that Classic Auto Air is in Florida & in Dallas (and Dallas ain't close if you know Texas) but I called custom car cool in Texas per teh above finding. Now, those guys wanted to replace my whole system for $1500, not something I was looking for, although I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be better if I did - but I didn't want to go that far.

So, I asked them about places local that can rebuild, and he game me the name of a little shop on the upper west side of Houston (near I-10 & Bingle) called Alamo Auto Air (http://alamoautoair.com/). For $150-$175, they will rebuild my compressor in about 3 working days. Thats a pretty good turnaround, and I figured a reasonable price. the shop was old and the shelves were littered with probably 100 or more compressors of all sizes/shapes - these are always good signs in my book! On Google the place is scoring 4.6 out of 5 stars, but the main thing for me is meeting the owner, I got a good feeling from him, and he convinced me he really knew what he was doing.

So, I'm giving this shop a try. I won't get the unit back til Monday, and it will be awhile before I can give it a good test, but I wanted to log this location in here for the few guys that are looking for something in the large Houston metroplex. this looks like a good option from what I can see.

Jay

Back