429 Fan Shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice. Like I said - I am sure I will butcher it - so I will not be submitting pics afterwards and I will just pray that I can locate the correct shroud before next summer!!!!
Just take your time and you'll be fine.
One bite at a time is how to eat an elephant! In other words, cut small pieces at a time, don't try to do it all at once.
If a jig saw is too big, you could try just using a hack saw blade on its own. You may need to try different things.

They are fiber glass so will likely split or crack if you're too rough on the cutting. I would lay the shroud on it's back (rad side) and use a height gauge of some sort, could be a stick on a base with a felt marker attached to the stick to mark the height you want to cut at. Use a fine blade in a jig saw and cut close to the line. If you have a 90 deg. die grinder with a 2" disc to finish off.
What ever you do, go easy with it. If you do have cracks, I found a product named "Bondic" works very well. It is a UV activated glue. I fixed a crack on my shroud and after finishing, it's barely noticeable.
I have drilled mine and cut it once with an angle grinder without an issue. But as Stanglover suggest, be careful with it.

Thanks again everyone, haven’t had a chance to get started, but hopefully I can sometime this weekend.

A friend of mine actually found the unicorn - he located a listing for the correct shroud and even contacted the guy for me - owner knows that these are almost impossible to find and therefore he wants $1,500.00 for it - I said NO THANK YOU!!!

My car is not an original 429 car and I would convert it to a serpentine system before I would spend that kind of money on a shroud!

Attachments

• IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks again everyone, haven’t had a chance to get started, but hopefully I can sometime this weekend.

A friend of mine actually found the unicorn - he located a listing for the correct shroud and even contacted the guy for me - owner knows that these are almost impossible to find and therefore he wants $1,500.00 for it - I said NO THANK YOU!!!

My car is not an original 429 car and I would convert it to a serpentine system before I would spend that kind of money on a shroud!
The key point being that your car is not an original J or C code hence it is not necessary to have the original shroud. as for price, I have gone through this a couple times in the last 30+ years on searching out and purchasing this item. The last time I purchased an original was for my current J Code vert (original BB car). I bought it in 2018 for 450 US$. I had my original to the car still, but it had a crack on top that I had repaired and the "Caution" sticker covered nicely..., but being the typical OCD type restorer..., I had to find a perfect one. The prices of rare parts on the C, J & R Code car's have gone through the roof as their availability become more scarce. $1500 is a lot, but these are very hard parts to find today if you are restoring a concours level car. To each their own...

Just make sure it's not coming from mac antics. I got their "usa made super high quality" repop of the 429 shroud. The thing which they even dared to put a sticker of quality control on it, is a miserable POS! terrible quality.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I took a dremel tool with cutting wheel for fiberglass - cutting it was very simple.

Now I have run into the next issue - compressor and clutch (from the original 351C) mounted up to the bracket, but the compressor pulley doesn’t align with the other pulleys (adjustable idler, fixed idler, water pump and crank all align) so I pulled the compressor clutch and have another clutch coming to see if that works.

Just visited the All Classic Mustangs site - looks like a great resource! I will definitely keep that one in mind.

If you are still looking, try this link. I purchased two of them, they look pretty good!

If you are still looking, try this link. I purchased two of them, they look pretty good!

I am having trouble accessing this facebook link. Could you share it with me since I too am looking for a 429CJ fan shroud. Many thanks in advance.

Back