429 Fan Shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Good evening everyone!

I purchased a 71 Mach 1 at auction two years ago - its an original 351 car but the previous owner had switched out the original engine for a 429. Its also a factory AC car, however, the AC had not been re-installed, and the brackets that came with the car were actually for the original 351. So after some diligent searching, I found the correct 429 AC brackets on ebay. Over the past weekend, I installed the brackets but to my dismay the compressor will not fit because the compressor pulley hits the fan shroud. Upon further investigation, It also appears that the fan is sitting too far up into the shroud, which makes me believe that they just kept the fan and shroud from the original car.

With that said - I am now searching for a fan shroud for a 429 (Ford Part# D0OE-8146-D) so that I can replace the shroud and fan with the correct setup. I ordered a shroud from Obsolete and Classic Car Parts in Oklahoma City, but they called me today and informed me that they are out of stock from the vendor with no anticipated date for availability.

Before I resort to cutting a notch out of the current shroud in order to fit the AC compressor, I thought I would check to see if I had missed anything in my search.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas of where I might be able to find one of these unicorns or of another solution to my problem?

Thanks.

David

As a side note, I have a 460 with a 351 shroud. Due to the fan sitting too far into the shroud it causes high engine temperatures during the summer. I have made a few modifications to help keep the temperature within a safe range, but I do plan on replacing it with a 429/460 shroud. The fan blade should be half in, half out of the shroud.

As a side note, I have a 460 with a 351 shroud. Due to the fan sitting too far into the shroud it causes high engine temperatures during the summer. I have made a few modifications to help keep the temperature within a safe range, but I do plan on replacing it with a 429/460 shroud. The fan blade should be half in, half out of the shroud.
Thanks Kilgon - I just shot Crites an email and will try to give them a call before the end of the week.

I'm probably sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but if the fan is sitting too high in the incorrect 351 shroud, isn't that because the frame mounts were not changed to the lower 429 mounts when the transplant was done? I know of a forum member who dropped a 460 in and had to build lower frame mounts for it to fit correctly.

Its not that the dan is sitting too high, its just pushed too far forward into the shroud, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, as I haven’t actually seen the mystical 429 fan shroud, but I am hoping that it is not quite as deep as the 351 shroud.

If I shave about a half inch off the inside edge of this shroud, it would allow me to fit the AC components without them hitting the shroud, but that still doesn’t address the potential cooling issues I may have from the fan not being properly positioned in the shroud. I haven’t measured it, but I also think this is a smaller fan that is installed now because the true 429 fan should be 19 1/4” - does that sound correct?

I will do some further research before I order one because it states that it will fit any engine size, and not specific to the big block. Don’t want to end up buying one and still having the same problem with the AC compressor pulley hitting the shroud! The price is good - the one that I tried to order from Obolete Classic was about twice that price.

I'm probably sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but if the fan is sitting too high in the incorrect 351 shroud, isn't that because the frame mounts were not changed to the lower 429 mounts when the transplant was done? I know of a forum member who dropped a 460 in and had to build lower frame mounts for it to fit correctly.
The difference is the depth of the shroud itself which a 351 shroud is almost 3" deeper. Also, the 429/460 uses a bigger fan blade.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Summit's listing is incorrect - that's a standard 302/351 shroud. Yes - it will work on a 429 without ac. Also as mentioned, the fan will sit too deep in it. Attached is a picture of a 429/460 shroud. The part number is D0OE-8146-D.

429/460 View attachment 83426

View attachment 83427

Top looking down on 429/460 shroud.
Thanks for pointing that out. That was the number and application I got when I did the search on their website. Goes to show, you can't trust anybody!

I will do some further research before I order one because it states that it will fit any engine size, and not specific to the big block. Don’t want to end up buying one and still having the same problem with the AC compressor pulley hitting the shroud! The price is good - the one that I tried to order from Obolete Classic was about twice that price.
I don't know if you called Crites yet but they are about $350 the last time they had them. Also if you didn't see my reply to Stanglover, the Summit shroud is for a 302, 351 and will not work on an 429 with ac.

Almost $600 with shipping, but when its the only one available on the planet, you can name your own price (plus its already been sold).

I have tried to call Crites and nobody would answer the phone, and I have emailed them twice, but no responses yet, I will keep trying.

I was also heard that Dennis Carpenter has produced them in the past, they are not listed on their website and they are closed on Friday’s, so I will try to get with them next week.

West Coast Cougars has had 2 of these on order for months and no clue when they might be available.

In the meantime - it looks like I may have to just butcher my current fan shroud just fit the AC compressor, so any suggestions on the best way to trim a fan shroud would be greatly appreciated.

I will continue to search for the unicorn, and I will update if I find out anything new.

Almost $600 with shipping, but when its the only one available on the planet, you can name your own price (plus its already been sold).

I have tried to call Crites and nobody would answer the phone, and I have emailed them twice, but no responses yet, I will keep trying.

I was also heard that Dennis Carpenter has produced them in the past, they are not listed on their website and they are closed on Friday’s, so I will try to get with them next week.

West Coast Cougars has had 2 of these on order for months and no clue when they might be available.

In the meantime - it looks like I may have to just butcher my current fan shroud just fit the AC compressor, so any suggestions on the best way to trim a fan shroud would be greatly appreciated.

I will continue to search for the unicorn, and I will update if I find out anything new.
They are fiber glass so will likely split or crack if you're too rough on the cutting. I would lay the shroud on it's back (rad side) and use a height gauge of some sort, could be a stick on a base with a felt marker attached to the stick to mark the height you want to cut at. Use a fine blade in a jig saw and cut close to the line. If you have a 90 deg. die grinder with a 2" disc to finish off.
What ever you do, go easy with it. If you do have cracks, I found a product named "Bondic" works very well. It is a UV activated glue. I fixed a crack on my shroud and after finishing, it's barely noticeable.

Back