Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
With the increased interest in classic cars, there are many (out there) who are trying to "make a buck" through often dishonest moves. As some of you may know, you can now pretty much duplicate a complete car and even get documentation (counterfeit data plates) to back up your act.

This week's question has to do with identifying a 1972 Mach I clone that has a counterfeit data plate that contains a "flaw." For the purpose of this exercise, the following applies:

VIN:2F05F183481

Color: A

Trim: 5A

Body Code: 63D

Date: 12D

DSO: 94

Axle: B

Trans: X

Who will be the first to identify the "mistake" on the data plate that identifies this data plate as a possible forgery, in spite of the changes that were made to the car to make it appear to be a 1972 Mach I?

BT

well the vin indicates that it came with a 302 2v...

i dont recall a 72 mach 1 with a 302?

also the body code is 63D wich = Sportsroof, w/ Standard Interior, Buckets - not mach

am i warm?

I am going to have to make more difficult questions as you are absolutely correct - - the body code is for a fast back not a Mach I.

The standard engine for Mach Is in 1972 was a 302 but the body code "error" sealed it for being a possible counterfeited data plate.

Of course, the Marti Report would have brought this deception forward.

That having been said, You did GOOD! You are the weekly winner for this week:)!

BT

I am going to have to make more difficult questions as you are absolutely correct - - the body code is for a fast back not a Mach I.

The standard engine for Mach Is in 1972 was a 302 but the body code "error" sealed it for being a possible counterfeited data plate.

Of course, the Marti Report would have brought this deception forward.

That having been said, You did GOOD! You are the weekly winner for this week:)!

BT
yay!!

I can deal with not winning, but with a vin of 2F05F183481 It would appear to me that the third and fourth digit 05 would declare it a Mach 1 with a standar sportsroof would be 02. Is this not correct?

Yes, you are correct but the REAL purpose of the question was to draw attention to a counterfeit plate whereby the counterfeiter "forgot" or failed to change ALL the information on the counterfeit plate.

The VIN is for a Mach I, BUT the body code is clearly for a "Sports Roof" which could indicate that the Sports Roof was changed to capitalize on the potentially higher investment value of the Mach I.

BT

Back