What do you say when asked if it's a Mach 1, but it's not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not worth turning into the "well ackchyully" know-it-all guy over. Colloquially, these were known as fastbacks for decades. If somebody calls it a fastback, you know exactly what they mean.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Try Decaf. No need to school me. What I posted is the technically correct Ford Motor Company verbage, and as for being known for decades, don't forget I'm older than you and I was there when they came out with the then new '71 body, so I'm used to the factory terminology. That's me, But in the big picture, call it whatever you're comfortable with. "But you doesn't have to call me Johnson....."

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Try Decaf. No need to school me. What I posted is the technically correct Ford Motor Company verbage, and as for being known for decades, don't forget I'm older than you and I was there when they came out with the then new '71 body, so I'm used to the factory terminology. That's me, But in the big picture, call it whatever you're comfortable with. "But you doesn't have to call me Johnson....."
I wasn't saying your post was being that guy. I was saying when this hypothetical situation comes up, just let a stranger call it a fastback or a sportsroof or whatever. You both know exactly what they're talking about.

As far as being what ford called it, sure. That was the marketing guys trying to differentiate themselves from the competition. There were also "aerosedan", "club coupe", "sedanette" and "torpedo back". All of it was marketing guys just trying to be cute, coming up with names to call their fastback models. Fastback is a generic term, that does correctly apply to these 71-73 mustangs. Sportsroof is ford's marketing terminology. And some random stranger who happens to ask about your car does not care to split hairs or be corrected about the difference.

Back