What kind of mileage is everyone getting?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

My Mach 1 with a "warmed up" 85 truck motor, 3:50 gear w/ top loader gets 11 mpg on the highways @ 65 mph and around town if I'm not beating it like a plow mule, period. It gets no better or worse.... Then again my model A with a 351 Cleveland with alum heads, AOD & 4:11 gear gets 16-18 on a good 80 mph run !!!

As someone said previously, we don't have these vehicles because there economical to drive, it's all a state of mind you're in when you're driving them !!!!

Thanks, Jay

Ummmmm...... 460 , C6 rofl I don't even wanna know . :dodgy:

71 M Code, 3.25, C6, 3514V, Edelbrock 650cm carb is the latest set up got 13 average on last fill up, most of that's around town and short trips.

I took off the Edlebrock performance intake and put the stock 4V cast iron intake back on including the turkey pan, went old school, got tired of fighting the vacuum leaks, just couldn't keep that gasket from creeping out. The aluminum and the cast iron contract and expand at different rates creeping the casket out is the best explanation I could find. I know many of you have done it with no problems but I couldn't get it right.

The car is less cold natured with the cast iron intake, that could also be because it was running lean with vacuum leaks with the Edelbrock intake.

Jim

engine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
last March I was 6 mi from home and the fuel pump died. Rather than call a hook I took the top of the Eldelbrock carb off and filled the float bowl with fuel and made it all the way home driving as easy as I could...I was rather impressed with 6 mi to a bowl full!
Regardless if this took place on the side of the freeway or a quiet back road, I nominate you for the MMA (MacGyver Mechanic Award).

For me, I get about 200 miles per tank, but I'm always romping on it. :cool:

I don't believe our cars are the bricks a lot of people make them out to be. Compared to a lot of cars, even newer, the frontal area on our Mustangs are quite small. Plus they already have an aerodynamic shape and I can personally vouch that they or at least mine hold the road quite well and steady at 150+

Before I sold it the 351-4v, 4 speed, 3.25 Mach 1 gave me 15mpg around town when I was driving with normal 2500 rpm shifts. It got a slightly better 18mpg on the highway. It had a Holley Street Avenger 670 carb and Edelbrok dual plane intake.

Last time I checked it I got 17mpg on the drive from Dallas Ft Worth to Albuquerque. 351c, 4-speed and 3.50 gears. Driving about 70-75mph. I love the fact that in my car at 70mph you can still carry out a normalish conversation with the windows rolled down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there

Still getting to know my car, a 72 Mach1 CJ with 4 speed stick but on a 900 mile trip back from Arkansas to Michigan (steady freeway at 70-75 mph) I saw 15.3 mpg. I know (from bitter experience) that around town it drops substantially. A combination of a malfunctioning fuel sender and my poor estimation saw me with my first call to AAA and a ride on the flatbed for a 5 mile trip to home....

All part of the learning.

I'll post some pics and start asking my first questions for help and advice soon. Thanks in advance

Hi there

Still getting to know my car, a 72 Mach1 CJ with 4 speed stick but on a 900 mile trip back from Arkansas to Michigan (steady freeway at 70-75 mph) I saw 15.3 mpg. I know (from bitter experience) that around town it drops substantially. A combination of a malfunctioning fuel sender and my poor estimation saw me with my first call to AAA and a ride on the flatbed for a 5 mile trip to home....

All part of the learning.

I'll post some pics and start asking my first questions for help and advice soon. Thanks in advance
Welcome. Please post an intro thread so we can all properly welcome you.

Back