What's the widest tire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 295/50/15 BFG Radial T/A specs are:

Diameter: 26.65 in.

Width: 12.17 in.

Yes. 6-1/2" backapace. I wouldn't really try altering the offset if sticking with a 10" wheel. It's close to the fender lip as well. It's never rubbed and I feel confident it's right where it needs to be.

I used to have Weld Pro Stars on the car with the same size wheels before purchasing the Magnum 500's.

All that aside, you really should get in and measure your car before spending several hundred on a wheel/tire combo with so little margin for error.

Mach%201%20018_zps3kxfimqr.jpg

Mach%201%20014_zpskcimz7yh.jpg

b12czap_zps5im7nmvh.jpg

I currently have 295s on the rear and 255s on the front on 18" wheels. No rubbing.

I should've tried 315s on the rear and 275s up front. I believe 315s on the rear can be easily done but I'm not sure of 275s up front. Maybe if one would choose a tire brand in which the cross section runs narrower than other brands.
What's your rear wheel offset?
It's 6.5" backspacing for the rear.

Here are a couple of pics. Same rim sizes, different wheels.

ru4apu.jpg

5nr5v7.jpg

314z67k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run 295-50-15 in the back, but am currently running 315-35-17 and 245-45-17 in front. Both aforementioned tire sizes (in 17") are 25.68" tall, so a good match for height.

Yes. 6-1/2" backapace. I wouldn't really try altering the offset if sticking with a 10" wheel. It's close to the fender lip as well. It's never rubbed and I feel confident it's right where it needs to be.

I used to have Weld Pro Stars on the car with the same size wheels before purchasing the Magnum 500's.

All that aside, you really should get in and measure your car before spending several hundred on a wheel/tire combo with so little margin for error.

Mach%201%20018_zps3kxfimqr.jpg

Mach%201%20014_zpskcimz7yh.jpg

b12czap_zps5im7nmvh.jpg
...great info! Thanks again for your time.

I've run 295-50-15 in the back, but am currently running 315-35-17 and 245-45-17 in front. Both aforementioned tire sizes (in 17") are 25.68" tall, so a good match for height.
Any pictures on the 315 on the back, would love to see ::thumb::

+1

Would love to see those steam rollers :)

LOL, they're not THAT wide. They just sound wide because they've got the "3" in the 315s.

Here's a shot with the 295s originally on 15s:

IMG_2002.JPG

Here's a shot with the 315s in 17":

IMG_3230.JPG

Not much of a difference.

Okay, I got my 325-45-17's mounted and trial fit on the car. Clearance is good except on the front inside. Looks like I'll have to cut the inner wheel well loose up front, slit the inner tub and make some room. Probably will go ahead and roll the fender lip in while I am at it. Backspace is a probably pretty close, a 1/4 less would help but I'll make it work. a 10" rim instead of the 10 1/2 with 6" of backspace would probably be ideal.

Okay, I got my 325-45-17's mounted and trial fit on the car. Clearance is good except on the front inside. Looks like I'll have to cut the inner wheel well loose up front, slit the inner tub and make some room. Probably will go ahead and roll the fender lip in while I am at it. Backspace is a probably pretty close, a 1/4 less would help but I'll make it work. a 10" rim instead of the 10 1/2 with 6" of backspace would probably be ideal.
Jeff, I've been waiting to hear how they fit. Take some pics of the inner fender release while you're doing it...I'm interested in this modification. I bet they'll look great!

Once you get them in, let me know if the outer fender rolling is necessary. Thanks for the follow up.

Eric

I will. They fill the wheel well very nicely, but I did have to remove my lowering blocks, so now my car has a rake to it as the back is sitting about 2 inches higher. Fender rolling is probably not "required" but rear ends do move side to side a bit and I don't want to cut my tires accidentally, esp not at 310 bucks a piece!

It is probably easier to go with a little smaller tire and better backspace/wheel width

M&H makes a 275-50-17 and specs a 9" rim for it-it is still a 28" tall tire I think with a 9 inch rim with 5 to maybe 5 1/2 backspace should fit without modification

Okay, a brief update and tomorrow evening I'll try and add a few pictures. With a little help from a friend and about 5 hours time, I removed the wheels. the fuel line and back seat, rear seatbelts and the interior panels and we went to work with an air chisel a few hammers and a cut off wheel. We were able to gain about an inch and half of clearance and the tires now fit beautifully. We rolled the fender lips partially and will have to trim the trim before we put it back on, but I can fit my hand between the narrowest spot with ease. Looks like I'll probably be able to drop my lowering blocks back in, but I'm going to drive it over to the shop to do all the welding tomorrow as my welder isn't quite heavy enough. Probably another 3-4 hours at a minimum with resealing the seams and wire brushing and repainting the areas we reworked. Not sure if my rear sealbelt retractors are going to fit when we are done, but I think we can make them fit. If not, it is no big deal, no one is dumb enough to ride back there!

Okay, today took longer than expected, but after 8 hours work it is mostly done, just have to reinstall my interior. Phone died, but I have a few pictures Clearance is excellent, though we did not put the lowering blocks back in just yet. I'm going to drive it as is a few times first.

4gsw2t.jpg

24az6hc.jpg

14ddppy.jpg

we sis the passenger side first and cut more than we should have. Driver side went much better, but after lots of welding and grinding and seam sealing it all looks good.

Sorry for the poor pictures, but Tommy took some for me and I'll get the better ones posted if you need them.

To anyone that wants to increase tire size beyond 315's and run a 28" tall tire, this is a simple way to do it if you can cut hammer and weld.

I'll update whether or not the rear seatbelts still fit in a day or two.

Will do, but it may be a few weeks. Tonight as I was pulling into the garage, my passenger side rear brake caliper sheared off the bracket and smashed a hole the size of your fist through the inside of the wheel.

I was able to lower the back an inch and it looks really good- except I now need a brake caliper bracket, a hose and possibly a caliper and rotor. I'm just to tired and disappointed to even think about looking at it any further tonight.

Latest posts

Back