What's the widest tire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do, but it may be a few weeks. Tonight as I was pulling into the garage, my passenger side rear brake caliper sheared off the bracket and smashed a hole the size of your fist through the inside of the wheel.

I was able to lower the back an inch and it looks really good- except I now need a brake caliper bracket, a hose and possibly a caliper and rotor. I'm just to tired and disappointed to even think about looking at it any further tonight.
whenever you get a chance Jeff, no hurry!

I wish I had found this thread when I was trying to figure out which rims and tires to get. I ended up going narrower than I wanted. But I will say that I did test fit some 2003 Mustang aftermarket rims with 6" backspacing and they did fit on the front and back. But they were just 8" wide so they looked sunk in. I ended up going with 4.5" backspaced rims with some small 255/45/17 and 225/50/17. I did put the rear tire on the front just to see if it would clear and it did.

pics as promised

se6k47.jpg

11sm7pv.jpg

k51x74.jpg

Jeff,

Wow! I couldn't wait to see these pics. Those tires/wheels are pretty badass. Nice.

According to my notes, those are 325/45 on 17's. DIAMETER 28.5"!!!! and WIDTH 12.8"!!!! Correct?

...so here's my question to you, Jeff my friend, how much if at all could your offset (6.88 or 6-7/8) be fine tuned outward and still not necessitate a rolling of the fender lip?

...if it were 6-1/4 (5/8 less offset) would you have had to do your "slight fender roll"(last pic doesn't look too tight) and the inner fender widening?

E dog out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures are deceiving. With possible suspension travel, I don't think I actually have any room to spare at the outer edge. Backspace is an advertised 6.8" and I do not think it would be possible to use much less. My fender lips are just slightly rolled, less than a 1/4 inch. and I haven't had any tire contact. On the inside before modification I was hitting the inner wheel well up front on one side and was almost touching on the other without the lowering blocks. My springs are very stiff so I don't get a lot of travel.

So, no, I don't think you could run this big of a tire on a rim with much less backspacing. 6.5 with a heavy fender roll might work, but you would still need to expand the wheel well. If you decide to fo it, I can show you exactly where to cut to get the extra room. You will need to either know ytour way around a welder or have someone that does on hand to help.

Thanks for the answer Jeff. Welding's not a problem, just my sweet interior and dynamatted floors. Maybe by the time I actually get new tires, I'll be up for taking her back apart. I'm really not in a great hurry to get the tires but want to have a plan so when it's time, I'll just execute it. It's funny, before this, I only thought women would do so much just for an extra inch!

Back