Wheel lip moulding - was it available on Mach 1s?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I belive the rear-edge hood trim was only in 71.

I also believe the tiny black plastic inner-fender shrouds up by the winshield were larger in 71, then resized smaller in 72-73.

I have seen many factory cars with these, and just as many factory cars without them.

I have always wondered what the criteria for which cars got them was. I eventually arrived at the opinion that it is determined by which factory they came from, but I have never researched this.

Any clue on these things?
There were 2 versions of them in 71 and only 71

No 72 or 73's had them

I have seen several 73 coupes with the 71-72 style tutone over the years, but only ONE where the bright trim on the front valance was moved down to try to make the stripes "fit better": The yellow one owned by the schoolteacher that has been featured in countless magazine profiles.

Even though it is claimed all- original, I doubt it. I suspect the dealership added the stripes and modified moldings before first delivery.
I'm not familiar with the car you're referring to, and I can't quite visualize the stripes with the lower trim. This is what I was speaking of:

73_conv_yellow_w7_1.jpg

i491825.jpg
(From http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_491825-Ford-Mustang-1973.html)

07A9A38C-EFDA-4006-8559-85B1C17B5FE6_1.jpg

Granted, none of them are absolutely untouched originals, but they are Decor Group cars with identically fitted moldings. These aren't the only three I've seen like this either.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Greg (Austinvert) has the 73 stripes all the way to the rear end of the car. If not all the way, they do continue behind the rear wheel openings.

Looks pretty sharp!

Regarding the front fender portion of the decor group moldings. They were changed for the 73 model year so they would line up with the bottom edge of the new taller bumper. On the 71-72 models the fender to valance joint lined up to the lower edge of the bumper and so yhe molding went there. When purchasing the parts. The early years have a bent edge that fits into the fender/valance connection. The 73 front section is surface mounted like the rest of the molding kit.

Regarding the front fender portion of the decor group moldings. They were changed for the 73 model year so they would line up with the bottom edge of the new taller bumper. On the 71-72 models the fender to valance joint lined up to the lower edge of the bumper and so yhe molding went there. When purchasing the parts. The early years have a bent edge that fits into the fender/valance connection. The 73 front section is surface mounted like the rest of the molding kit.
Plus 1 on the above.

I purchased a reproduction Decor molding set for my 73 convertible and it contained the 71/72 style front section molding. Fortunately my old front pieces polished up great so I reused them.

Back