wheels and tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out for the upper ball joint with those. 9" wheels often have interference in a 17" diameter.

I am using 18X9 and 18X10 wheels designed for a 94 - 04 Mustang with 7/16" spacers on 3 wheels and no spacer on the right rear.

Not sure why a 17" would interfere with upper arms and 18" wouldnt? Especially since my car came from factory with 14" steel wheels.
It is not solely a matter of diameter, the backspacing contributes as well. The standard 14" wheel is 3 inches narrower than what is being looked at. I have heard a 17X8 is no issue.

On a 17X9 the backspacing will be too deep or require an offset that will push the wheel out so far it won't fit. With an 18X9 wheel the diameter is large enough the ball joint end of the control arm will tuck inside the wheel allowing it to fit inside the wheelwell lip.

With an 18X9 wheel the diameter is large enough the ball joint end of the control arm will tuck inside the wheel allowing it to fit inside the wheelwell lip.
That. Search "experience with bigger wheels" under my name like I told you way up this thread and you'll see a pic that explains it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i read a LOT of sites on wheel fitment. 17x8 with 4.25 backspace seem to fit most guys. One wheel manufacturer felt strongly our cars drive best with 7' front wheels regardless of size. But i havent heard too many 8" wide owners complain. I have 16x8's in the front and seems to turn fine, except i need to add another degree of castor for hwy cruising. I expect your camber setup would have some effect on your inner tire clearance on the front. I use a 0 degree camber. The Aussie built pontiac gto's had massive probs in the second year of production when they went with wider fronts and were rubbing when they were driven off the showroom.

I have 17x7 American Racing Torque Thrust IIs on mine. No spacers, no rubbing. Click on Images in my garage: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--10047
my after thought is. r you running disc brakes all the way around? i have drum. will it make a difference ?
I do have disk brakes all around, but having drums instead won't make any difference to wheel fitment.

Greg
i did not think it would matter .but i thought i would ask just in case . again thank you for your time and effort to answer my questions

Back