Which fire was that?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang H Code Mach 1

Surfing the threads here and elsewhere I've run into times where people are trying to explain an engine problems and say that the engine is back firing. In my head I immediately see burnt eyebrows and sooty hoods. But, they go on to explain that it's coming from the tailpipe. I'd like to insert just a little insight to the definition to back-firing and after-firing. This wiki def explains it.

Wikipedia -

A
back-fire or backfire is an explosion produced by a running internal combustion engine that occurs in the induction system rather than inside the combustion chamber. Unburned fuel or hydrocarbons ignited from a slower burning, lean fuel air mixture that is still burning inside the cylinder when the intake valve opens. Not to be confused with afterfire which is caused by an excessively rich fuel air mixture that is not completely burned during combustion. It is then ignited in the exhaust. A visible flame may momentarily shoot out of the exhaust pipe. Either condition causes a popping noise, together with possible loss of power and forward motion.

So, the next time you are trying to describe one of these conditions to your mechanic you can paint a better picture to help him with the diagnosis.

Back