Which leaf springs to buy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I replaced the front coil springs with 1" inch drop units and now I need to replace the rear leafs.

To keep the car level, I know that I need to get units that have a "mid-eye" to give it a 1"drop also.

What's the consenus out there on whether to use standard 4 leaf, 4.5 leaf or 5 leaf springs?

I'm considering CJPP's 5 leaf mid eye. Can anyone who has these tell me how the ride is?

Go to Eaton Springs

http://www.eatonsprings.com/64-73mustangrear.html

Recently, I did a 1" drop on my 69 vert and installed heavy duty rear springs. The car sits and rides perfectly level.

You will see by their chart what height the car will ride with the drop down menus.

Anyone have 5 leaf mideye leafs?

Is the ride harsh?
Back in the day I added an extra 1/2 leaf to the stock springs to help the car leave on slicks, it did and it wasn't a lot more harsh. Chuck

I guess "harsh" is a relative term.

I have five leaf mid-eye springs on my '73 mach 1 but the miles I have put on it have usually been 1/4 at a time:). I did not find the ride harsh but I was usually pretty busy trying to keep it pointed straight.

I have not driven the car in a couple of years but I do recall that the ride was "stiff" to the point that I would probably not have "enjoyed" any long scenic trips. It is what it is.

I have found when building these "toys", you have to decide how you plan on using them "MOST" of the time as it usually REALLY is about "trade-offs."

Hope this helps.

BT

I guess "harsh" is a relative term.

I have five leaf mid-eye springs on my '73 mach 1 but the miles I have put on it have usually been 1/4 at a time:). I did not find the ride harsh but I was usually pretty busy trying to keep it pointed straight.

I have not driven the car in a couple of years but I do recall that the ride was "stiff" to the point that I would probably not have "enjoyed" any long scenic trips. It is what it is.

I have found when building these "toys", you have to decide how you plan on using them "MOST" of the time as it usually REALLY is about "trade-offs."

Hope this helps.

BT
Thanks for the advise.

Back