Why is my clutch SO hard?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hey friends!! thank´s to Rocketfoot i´m now back from my Laptop instead of my uncomfortable celphone! :)

You know... i´m having some comfort troubles with my clutch.... Is is short and hard!!...

I didn´t like some job someone did, dont know why in the equalizer... ir was very messy with tons of electric welds on it... I don´t know if it was modified or not because i didn´t ever get to see another 7173 manual equalizer, you know?...

I repaired the linkages with nylon parts made by myself but with the propper machines (dont know the name of them in english but in spanish it is "torno" :p)

It did get a little better but now, the pedal is getting shorter and harder, besides, the pedal has a "jump"... Between the release position and the actual working stage, there is like 30% of the pedal inactive and just in it´s position by the spring the pedal assambly has...

So... what could it be??... If my equalizer has been modified... (the last owner was extremely short person!!) what can i do to soft the pedal??? which part should i make longer?? maybe that is why i also have the jump...

What do you think guys??!!

Damian,

Not sure about your clutch problem - there are many on this forum that can assist, I'm sure.

But I wanted to help you with the "torno" translation.

I'm sure most knew what you were referring to a "lathe".

In woodworking and metalworking, a lathe is a machine tool which spins a block of material so that when abrasive or cutting tools are applied to the block, it can be shaped to produce an object which has rotational symmetry about an axis of rotation. Examples of objects that can be produced on a lathe include candlestick holders, table legs, bowls, baseball bats, crankshafts or camshafts.

The material is held in place by two centers, at least one of which can be moved horizontally to accommodate varying material lengths. An adjustable horizontal metal rail between the material and the operator accommodates the positioning of shaping tools. With wood, it is common practice to press and slide sandpaper against the still-spinning object after shaping.

for more see http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Lathe or http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lathe

Ray

Yes Ray!! LATHE it is then!! :p

I´m good at working on it since i was raised in a house illumination factory my father owns... there are plenty of machines that are wonderful to make mechanical parts even better than what you can by aftermarket...

Imagine me in Uruguay, buying parts that costs me twice the price because of taxes and so... I always do then, this kind of "improvements" myself in my cars...

In fact, asi soon as i get some time, i´ll show you guys in pictures, my workshop! :)

Well.. thanks very much for the translation! and we will see the feedback about this clutch problem!

Damian, there can be several reasons the clutch may be stiff. First is the pressure plate itself, they are made in varying tensions and styles. Old school performance clutches had very high pedal pressures as they tried to prevent slippage with spring pressure. Second is linkage. If the linkage is binding or the ratio (mechanical advantage) is altered or poorly designed the pedal effort can also be high. The shorter the pedal travel is you have less mechanical advantage there is if you maintain the same travel at the clutch fork. Since your equalizer looks like it has been modified you may start there.

I hope this helps.

Yes... I think the first step is to try a better setup of the release rod... Maybe something has been moved and this regulator is in a wrong setup... that can make the pedal short and closer to the bottom... and if it does, it can get shifter too...

If setting up is not the cause, i´m affraid i´m gonna take the hole system off and try to minimize errors from the top by changing all the brushings here and there where they show a little too... unshiftness???!!! jejee.. i have to learn technical english!! jeje

If nothing improves and soften the clutch pedal i think the equalizer bar could suffer some modifications due to the shorter driver that the past owner is!!!.. unbelievable, it is like an old child! :p

Well... if the equalizer has been modified, then i´m gonna have to figure out if i have to make the release rod mount part longer or shorter to make the pedal smooth...

NICE weekend work eh!!?!?

Any more ideas!???

Thanks!!!

Get someone to sit in the car and push the clutch while you watch the Equalizer and linkage.

Other thing is, the bushings were bad to wear out in the pedal bracket under the dash.

Back